Whatchya Workin' On, O Creatives?

We’re building a kitten run (like a chicken run or a rabbit hutch, but for cats.)

8 Likes

Most people call that “The shelf the heirlooms are on”. How does it work?

8 Likes

My three favorite pen sketches of this past week.

You can probably tell by the pixels that these are actually three photos stitched together in GIMP in highly professional way.

15 Likes

Can’t tell if real-life Homer Simpson or cartoon Colin Mochrie.

7 Likes

If no one else is going to pitch that casting idea to Fox, I will.

8 Likes

Cartoons are rarely improv. It puts too much strain on the animators’ wrists.

8 Likes

Handmade cartoons, yeah, but hey:

In the 90s some Dutch font designers came up with a font whose outline changed (within certain constraints) every time a character was defined with it. A true-registered CMYK print (offset) couldn’t be made with it, for example, because each instance of the letter shape would be wobbly in a different way, meaning an imperfect overlap of each ink layer.

So what about a computer-drawn cartoon where the movements are defined by an algorithm getting is parameters from something-or-other?

7 Likes

6 Likes

Well, since no one else will do it, here are some things I did this week that I didn’t hate.

I posted up some photos I took to FaceBook as I prepare to leave Korea in a few months. I’m still looking for not-shit image-sharing but asking people on Reddit it seems they go blind when they see the words “I’m NOT looking to make photography my job” part of my request for suggestions.

Here’s a sketch I liked. Yay, Mumen Rider!

And here’s a full drawing that I liked though I might redo it since the background is obviously faked due to me getting lazy.

Wherever I wind up this winter I plan to buy a scanner because I don’t have the lighting rig to keep using my camera and smartphone for these shots.

13 Likes

I don’t know if this 100% belongs here, but I’m working on this challenge I created for myself, based on a conversation that came up in a marketing group I’m a member of.

For the past two years I’ve been launching my business www.sadhanacatalog.com but haven’t made much money yet. I am so right there, ready to make money, though, with several e-learning courses in the pipeline.

What happened was I’m participating in the Digital Marketing facebook group, which I find very useful because I’m exploring how to run ads online, etc, these days.

A poster there applied for a digital marketing job. They asked: If you had a week to find a product and sell it, make $3500 off of it, and spent only $150 in advertising, what would you do?

Well, man, if you can do that, you can leave your day job, you know? That’s a real business.

I love that it’s just so short term and concrete.

I am working with a friend to complete a course that we are selling for $27 on a simple breath technique. It’s like meditation but there is no fluff, no new agey words. The whole technique is just breathe in for 6 seconds and out for 6 seconds precisely. You just count your breaths. It’s very science based. Within less than 10 minutes all the rhythms of your body - your breathing, your heart rate, your brain waves, your digestion, all start moving a harmonious rate that is a state of relaxation.

It’s a perfect technique for a corporate environment, or people who are not good at sitting still and meditating, or people who have anxiety and need to keep their mind focused on something simple.

Joe, my friend, already has a beautiful recording done with a professional sound engineer of him guiding the technique, and also a 30 minute atmospheric music track with no voiceover that counts the appropriate breathing rate using gongs. It’s just lovely, lovely, lovely. He was previously selling this as a CD but we turning it into an e-learning course.

We are doing some interviews with potential customers to figure out what issue they are worried about, and then creating some additional material specifically addressing their need to turn it into a short course. I’m selling it using my Invanto course platform that I purchased recently, which does all the hosting and payment processing.
We plan to have the course developed by end of the week.

So, I am accepting any and all ideas of how to generate $3500.

My cost is $18 for the course ($9 to the instructional designer/$9 to the sound engineer). My markup is $9.
To cover $150 in advertising, making $9 per course, I have to sell 405 courses - or 58 courses a day.

I have gotten some feedback to up the course price and add some elements in like videoconference calls to teach this more indepth. I am learning that the market for this is executive coaches who want to use it with their customers. It has been suggested to create an affiliate program with someone with a big email list willing to promote my product and give them a huge cut of the profits. I have someone in mind who I think is a good fit. I like the idea of focusing my energy behind one person and making sure we support her to give her customers a good experience.

If anyone has experience or ideas, I am just opening myself up to anyone who wants to help this week and want to try promoting next week.

5 Likes

Have you considered getting into the the lucrative fake news business?

7 Likes

Just to keep the thread open:

I’m currently working on digesting a pepperoni cheese crust pizza.

10 Likes

I have sketched again for the first time in a while.

12 Likes

I’ve just gotten a commission from one of my favorite bands to design all of their tour merchandise.

The catch: I got the call Friday at noon and it has to be all done and designed in three days or so. So uh, yikes!

18 Likes

Way to go! Good luck!

7 Likes

Hope you’re getting good coin for it. I tend to remind clients in similar situations of the triangle with the vertices quality, speed and cost: they can choose any one edge. That’s to say that if it’s quick and good, it won’t be cheap, if it’s cheap and good, it won’t be quick, and if it’s cheap and quick, it won’t be good.

That’s not to say that I won’t make exceptions (mainly freebies) when I think the cause is good. A couple of years ago, I did the posters, handbills and programme booklets for a benefit recital held by some friends in the UK in aid of the Macmillan cancer hospices. Maybe when I’m dead and famous, they’ll become collector’s items. :smiley:

10 Likes

I’ve worked with these guys on posters, logos, and promo items before, and they’ve been good about paying decently. I’ve found that when I work directly with musicians, bringing up money is baffling to them, and they offer free t-shirts or concert tickets instead; working with their management is the key to actually getting paid.

Thanks! They like my sketches, now I’m just waiting for the band’s feedback (which in the past has been things like “they look good, but can’t you add more cool stuff to them?”)

11 Likes

I find with musicians it’s best to use “tokes” as a unit of measurement.

6 Likes

As mentioned elsewhere, I’ve been binge-watching King of the Hill

10 Likes

Reminds me of this.

4 Likes