What's in a name?

I think I’ve got a way to start processing all these suggestions, but it ain’t pretty. I think I need to be able to make a wiki to do it. Is there a way to do that, @LockeCJ?

I just made the first post a wiki. Does that help?

1 Like

So does that mean anyone can edit?

Can you make any comment a wiki or just the first one?

2 Likes

Any one, apparently.

That probably answers both questions. I’ve just got a toggle, I don’t see any obvious way to make it a wiki that a restricted group can edit, but that might be contradictory on its face.

2 Likes

Another good name might be "Animal Farm."
:pig::cow::horse::unicorn::sunglasses:

4 Likes

I don’t need to restrict the group, just confirming that everyone will have access and be able to fill stuff in. I’m going to lay out the plan here, and then lay out the list in the next comment. If you can make the list a wiki, that’d be great.

Okay then, here’s my plan: I’ve broken the list of suggestions above in to two parts - verified (ones that were presented as a domain name, and which I have verified are available) and others that were presented as general ideas, suggestions, or perhaps just as a joke, but I don’t want to assume so everything that got 5 likes or more above has made it to one of these two lists.

So here’s what I’d like you all to do; read through both lists. If you suggested one of the names on this list that is NOT in domain formatted and verified as available, then figure out how to put it in domain verified format, and then verify that it is available by checking on GoDaddy or similar domain registrar. The list comment is a wiki so go ahead and edit it yourself. Do NOT post your edit of the name/domain in a reply, please. Trying to keep this tidy. :slight_smile:

If you have a domain on this list that is verified, you may leave a comment next to it with some explanation of it (i.e. “HMS stands for happy mutant space”) or point out that other TLDs of the same name might be available (i.e. .net/.org/.space). Please keep any comment on the same line though so we can keep this list tight.

I’ll leave this process open for a few days. If anyone is suddenly hit by new inspiration because of something they saw on this list (or because they had a really productive shower this morning) then you may add it to the list, but again only if it is in domain format and verified to be available.

At the end of this first pass, we should have a list of only actual domain names that are available. From there we will proceed to a first elimination round that will allow people to vote for multiple names, with the lowest ranked 50% being removed. We will then move to second elimination and final voting.

Make sense? Questions about process? If I’ve left your suggestion off, please forgive me. This has been a hard thread to try to consolidate. Add anything I missed to the list.

8 Likes

THIS TOPIC IS A WIKI. Any member can edit.

To edit, from the menu at the bottom of this post, choose …

Additional menu options become available. From the expanded menu choose the Edit icon.

To verify a name go to https://www.internic.net/whois.html and search for the domain and extension (.net, .com, etc.)

Verified Names:

OtherMod.us
HMSspeakeasy.ninja – HMS = Happy Mutant Space
PandorasSpeakeasy.life
Bigboat.rocks
Commentariat.co – stands for commentariat collective; also commentariatcollective.com/org/net available
HMSRemarkable.com – HMS = Happy Mutant Space
HMSElsewhere.com --HMS = Happy Mutant Space
Snarkexchange.com
Rebelmutant.com
Ruelle.cafe (term for French salons, 17th-18th century. Ruelle.net is taken.)
SnickerSnark.com – snicker = laugh, snark = critique. Together, a vorpal blade of commentary.
SmoothPebbles.cafe (From Newton. Google “newton smoother pebble”. .net, .pub also available.)
AllTheLikes.net – also available in .org/.space/etc. The .com is not available but is not really used
Antimatter.cafe
Elsewhere.cafe
Elsewhere.zone
Wayward.cafe
Endoftheworld.cafe
forum.mcforumface.com (or .net, .org, etc. – all TLDs seem to be available)
Adhocracy.cafe /.space /.community /.pub
TheAdhocracy.cafe /.space /.community /.pub
Hieroglyphics.site
LaPulqueriamasfina.com
ClicketyClack.cafe /.club (alliteration!) .space and .zone also available. .com is not available
Waywardsrefuge.com/ .net/ .cafe/ .space/ .org
robfordfan.club
numbersstation.io
annexia.io

@ChickieD verified the domains below. I verified on these extensions .com/.net./.org and .cafe
for domains with existing URLs as .com, etc., we should check out what those sites are and consider whether we want people accidentally going to those sites if they enter the wrong extension accidentally - for example, themoshpit.com is blocked at my work

mutantspeakeasy.com/ .net/ .org/ .cafe
luckylounge.cafe but NOT .com/ .net
infiniteregression.net but NOT .com / .org is “not authoritative” on search
pandora.cafe but NOT .com/ .org / .net - note that this could be confusing as there is the widely known Pandora Music service
themoshpit.cafe but NOT .com/ .net / .org
sanctuary.cafe but NOT .com/ .net/ .org
oursafespace.cafe but NOT .com / .net / .org
eden.cafe but NOT .com/ .net /.org
mutantunderground.net, .cafe but not .com/ .org

h.ms is available.

Mutandine .cafe .space .community .pub .club .zone .hm .ms NOT .com .net .org
Caravanserai NOT .com .net($2500) .org !!!
Wunderkammer .cafe .space .community .pub .club .zone .hm .ms NOT .com .net .org

Unverified Names that Need to be Verified to Move On:

MuchasMutantes
LosMutantes
LoungeSKPs
OwllessAndHeavenToo
Curiosity Cabinet
Prohibition Hall
MuchasMutantes
LosMutantes
The Roach Coach
Boingtown Rats
Wanderful Things
St. Elsewhere
Regulartown
Loungelandia
Speakeasy
The HMS Pinafore
Speakeasy.cafe (not available in current form)
HMSpirate.community
Croatoan
Animus Farm
Wayward
Cafe at the end of the world

4 Likes

Also: I would suggest that people consider checking the .pub extensions in addition to the .cafe and .space, since I think some of the names suggested would work well with those TLDs and I’m surprised they haven’t been used yet. I like .pub because of the dual meanings of 1) publication and 2) public house.

6 Likes

meet me
at
Where Else St.

Edit to add:

downscale: whereelse.info

Upscale: wherelse.org, $300

3 Likes

Put it in URL format!

4 Likes

Me too elsewhere.cafe is nifty. Not crazy long either.

9 Likes

theadhocracy is also available in these TLDs

3 Likes

happymutants.space is fine. A legal challenge by anyone claiming trademark infringement would be the best of all worlds, but I don’t think it will happen. IANAL

2 Likes

What about threadhocracy?

2 Likes

@strokeybeard: Put it on the list!

@MarkDow: there are a few problems with that. First, Happy Mutant LLC would have to defend their mark, or lose it. So unless we get an official license, I expect they will tell us not to use that name. That’s not to say we can’t ask, but that leads us to point two, which is that many folks here seem to want a clean break. To be defined by ourselves not the past. We can put it to a vote, I suppose, but that’s my sense of the general consensus.

10 Likes

A simple solution would be to simply quote Devo.

notnecessarilybeautifulbutmutated.com

:grinning:

7 Likes

Available!

6 Likes

11 Likes

I just wanna ping @tinoesroho and @crenquis to verify Numbers Station and Annexia, since those should definitely be in the running.

7 Likes

NumbersStation.com is taken.
Annexia.com is taken.

.club versions of the name are available.

5 Likes