What's in a name?

I agree, it has poetry and feels good. Can it work without the HMS? Should it be paired with something?

Subtitle: Some other place, somewhere, some other time.

5 Likes

I really like Adhocracy too; especially if the organisation style we end up going with reflects that kind of vibe.

ETA: Adhocracy.pub.

5 Likes

Unfortunately Nutopia has been taken.

http://www.nutopia.com/about

1 Like

GoDaddy.com says antimatter.cafe is available.

12 Likes

I also like elsewhere; itā€™s a great reference to the origin, but also stands alone just fine.

Elsewhere.cafe, elsewhere.zone

8 Likes

Wayward by itself is interesting

4 Likes

Wayward.cafe ?

8 Likes

Ooo! Ooo! I like this one.

(And Crosstime Saloon. No wait, that last bit has been used.)

4 Likes

or maybe wayword.cafe

4 Likes

Endoftheworld.cafe

5 Likes

Both endoftheworld.cafe and worldsend.cafe are available at namecheap for $6.88/yr.

7 Likes

It is possible to post a ā€œsingle choiceā€ poll or a ā€œmultiple choiceā€ poll.

Would a multiple-choice poll be better for producing a consensus result that nobody hates?

maybe I should wait to see the poll before worrying about it

5 Likes

Income source sorted then.

2 Likes

ā€œThe Adhocracyā€

Bear in mind that I lifted this from Cory Doctorow (Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom), so I donā€™t know legally, or whether Cory would be okay with it.

@honeybunches, is there any way of checking with Cory or should we just assume itā€™s a non-starter?

3 Likes

Considering there are companies named after things in JRR Tolkienā€™s works, I think legally it would be fine. I can send an email asking for his blessing, though!

1 Like

Cory didnā€™t invent the word. Anyway, a word canā€™t really be copyrighted. Trademarked, perhaps, but thatā€™s a whole 'nother thing.

5 Likes

Just a quick note to thank everyone for their thoughtful suggestions.

I donā€™t want to put my thumb on the scale. Iā€™ll just vote with everyone else.

Iā€™m not sure where else to put this, but this experience has reminded me a bit of this:

I mean that in the best possible way, I assure you.

7 Likes

So far Elsewhere is my favorite.

6 Likes

He wouldnā€™t mind, Iā€™m sure. I would just email him. doctorow@craphound.com

5 Likes

I think Iā€™ve got a way to start processing all these suggestions, but it ainā€™t pretty. I think I need to be able to make a wiki to do it. Is there a way to do that, @LockeCJ?