Who Sang it Better?

Let’s vote on songs! Who sang it better?

SONG: Southern Nights

• Glen Campbell
  • Allen Toussaint

0 voters

3 Likes

The answer to the subject question is “Walk Off the Earth” :grin:

7 Likes

SONG: The Sound of Silence

• Simon & Garfunkel
  • Disturbed
  • Pentatonix

0 voters

4 Likes

Now, Mrs. Robinson… I might be inclined to vote for the Lemonheads on that one.

However, I am going to ask instead:

• Don Henley
  • The Ataris

0 voters

I actually like both of those versions. Both so distinct. But I have to give an edge to Mr. Toussaint.

4 Likes

SONG: The Ballad of Lucy Jordan

• Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show
  • Marianne Faithfull

0 voters

1 Like

He wrote it and is the OG recorder.

3 Likes

Yes. And he was also the producer of his track too, whereas the Campbell version was a group effort.

2 Likes

You guys have given me a good idea, but I’m in dress rehearsal, so this is a placeholder and hopefully I’ll remember when I get home.

4 Likes

Thank goodness for Faithful’s version. With her you can see and feel what Jordan feels, whereas with Dr. Hook you just feel the point whooshing by.

4 Likes

We all know where this is going:

• Prince - Nothing Compares 2U
  • Sinéad O’Connor - Nothing Compares 2U

0 voters

2 Likes

I actually had to with Sinead in that one even though you posted that beautiful video of Prince in rehearsal. I think her stylings bring out the poignancy if the lyrics. This was really a tie for me but I had to pick one.

1 Like

No, you didn’t (have to pick only one)!

1 Like

SONG: We Belong

• Pat Benatar
  • Lowen & Navarro

0 voters

The version everyone knows:

The actual songwriters:

2 Likes

i really agree. prince wrote it, but sinead makes it breathe and live for me.

2 Likes

Always on my Mind:

• B. J. Thomas
  • Gwen McCrae
  • Elvis
  • Willie Nelson
  • Pet Shop Boys

0 voters

B.J. Thomas

Gwen McCrae

Elvis Presley

Willie Nelson

Pet Shop Boys

2 Likes

No disrespect to Glen Campbell (and actually, mad props for the restrained use of banjo, which I’d never really noticed before), but for me, at least, it pretty much has to be Allen Toussaint, always and forever.

What’s weird is that the Campbell version was what immediately came to mind when I read the title “Southern Nights”, even though I knew it was a Toussaint song. I think that’s the version that was popular on the radio when I was kid, and it wasn’t until much later as an adult that I discovered Allen Toussaint and started associating that song with him.

I truly enjoy a well-done cover, so this might turn out to be an entertaining thread for me. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I learned of Toussaint’s version as an adult and was just haunted by it. The Glen Campbell version was on 24/7 on the radio as a kid in Alabama. I came to really hate the song just because it was soooo popular for so long. Then, to hear this original version that shimmered and was so mysterious, I felt it was such a more complicated and emotional take.

5 Likes

• Satisfaction by some group called The Rolling Stones
  • Satisfaction by the most misunderstood band to come down the Pike. DEVO

0 voters

2 Likes

I accidentally voted Stones but couldn’t watch Devo’s Video. Can you post another link?

3 Likes