Who Sang it Better?

That was a tough choice. Both R weak rapperz, yo.

4 Likes
  • Massive Attack
  • Aurora
  • Graham James
  • Jose Gonzales

0 voters

1 Like

The covers are interesting, but only the original has the Voice of God (and a harpsichord!).

2 Likes

damn, it’s hard to replace the original, but i admit i was VERY torn. i love José Gonzalez, and i love the voice on Aurora. i had never heard of Graeme James before, but DAMN his cover is so good. he almost snatched my vote.

1 Like

I am so sick of Jose Gonzalez. Everything he does sounds exactly the same.

The OG beat was just a better beat with a touch of funk. The others attacked too hard.

1 Like

Elizabeth Fraser always wins.

3 Likes

So as I realized I had 3 covers of this from the era in my library. So I put it to you to decide… though the covers are instrumentals.

The original…

Dieter Zimmerman

King Curtis

CCS with the rock flute… and big band.

• Led Zeppelin
  • Dieter Zimmerman
  • King Curtis
  • CCS

0 voters

1 Like

Can we vote for all four?

2 Likes

I would have to redo the poll but I kinda want a pick one.

ETA Also I am going to wonder for a long time why that Zeppelin song?

1 Like

I voted Dylan for Highway 61 Revisited, but probably my favorite cover of that song is this version by PJ Harvey (apologies for the timestamped link in the middle of a super long video, but it was the best copy of this song I could find :neutral_face:).

Incidentally, the process of trying to find online the exact version of this this song that I remembered sent me down a bit of a musical rabbit hole revisiting early (and not so early) PJ Harvey albums, which proved to be great fun, so thanks for the prompt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting. I’m not sure that song quite works as a blues waltz, but I am from a pre-PJ Harvey generation, so I’m not really knowledgeable about her and wasn’t aware of this cover. It might be “codgerism” on my part speaking.

As it happens, for that particular post I chose originals and the best-known covers from my generation. I’m personally fond of the Johnny Winter cover - he wasn’t all “Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo”, and I think he has become somewhat underrated.

1 Like

I’m feeling a bit perverse…

• The Carpenters
  • Shonen Knife

0 voters

4 Likes

I don’t know about “codgerism”, but PJ Harvey can be a bit of an acquired taste. :grin: And when it comes to Dylan, you’re probably never going to know about all the the covers.

4 Likes

The Carpenters version is so pretty, all soft and smooth, with no rough edges, but Shonen Knife’s version is definitely for me! I’m tapping my feet and grinning right now!

3 Likes

I gotta get be the original my vote. I do love some Shonen Knife, but I just feel the Carpenters was the better version betwixt the two.

2 Likes

The poll seems superfluous, because the alternatives are at best merely interesting (if not sacrilegious)

• Hendrix
  • Cure
  • Kronos Quartet
  • Tangerine Dream
  • Ozzy
  • Frank Zappa
  • Dion

0 voters

3 Likes

Missed Frank Marino, amongst others.

2 Likes

The ideal would have been Carpenter playing drums for Shonen Knife. (There’s a couple of years of overlap there.) :wink:

6 Likes
  • Led Zeppelin
  • The Duhks
  • Michael Winslow

0 voters

1 Like
  • Tool
  • Brass Against
  • O’Keefe kids

0 voters

This one is… fascinating:

• Tool