Who Sang it Better?

Two versions, both released within a couple years of each other in the '80s. One is the original.

I never really cared for Robert Palmer when he was popular in the ‘80s (too preppy and not enough rockin’ for my juvenile tastes), but I quite enjoy some of his stuff these days, including this song. I first heard the Cherrelle version a couple years ago, and was just kind of going with the groove when it hit me that the reason it felt so fun and familiar was because I already knew the lyrics from a different version of the song.

Listen for the bass drum roll in this one. I’m guessing it’s probably a drum machine, which makes it a little less impressive, but it’s one of the things that caught my ear the first time I heard this song.

At about the 30 second mark, Palmer oh-so-briefly rolls his eyes in a sort of semi-smirk, and I think I start to get why some folks find him sexy.

I think they make a neat pair, and I’d have a hard time choosing one over the other, so I’m going with the checkbox-style poll.

I Didn’t Mean To Turn You On

• Cherrelle
  • Robert Palmer

0 voters

1 Like
  • Florence Reese
  • Billy Bragg
  • Pete Seeger
  • Natalie Merchant
  • Ani Difranco
  • Almanac Singers

0 voters

1 Like

OK. By now, you should all know that I have terrible taste.

But…

Bear with me for a moment, because this might be really good.

I went back and forth the first few times I listened, but I ultimately decided that it’s quite fun and I very much like it (it helps to play it really loud on some decent speakers – the youtube version doesn’t do it justice).

I was going to say that I included the original for comparison purposes, only, but when I listened to it I was reminded that Stewart Copeland is, like, two thirds of that band, and I can’t just dismiss it as 80’s era kitsch.

In any case, here are your voting choices:

Don't Stand So Close To Me

• Louchie Lou & Michie One
  • The Police
  • wtf? you really do have terrible taste!

0 voters

ETA: to the person who picked the third option in the poll: well-played! :laughing: :laughing: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Copeland did all the music for Dead Like Me, btw.

3 Likes

Here we go. Original vs copy.

• Falco
  • After the Fire

0 voters

1 Like

i always loved After The Fire’s version of it.

3 Likes

OK, it’s True Confessions time.

When I was watching the Falco video I was thinking to myself, “I remember the version of this song that was always on the radio being in English. When he said “original” he really meant it. :slight_smile: I’ll have to go find the English radio version just for grins after I listen to this other cover.”

And then I watched the After the Fire video, and that was the version I was remembering as always being on the radio!

I’ve always thought that they were both Falco and it was just a bilingual release, sort of like that “99 Red Balloons/99 Luftballons” song. :laughing: :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I give the Falco video bonus points for being totally comprehensible1 even though I don’t speak a lick of German, but After the Fire had the cooler video.

1. In an 80’s sort of way.

6 Likes
  • The Shangri La-la-las
  • The Divine Miss M
  • The Ramones with Brighter Colors
  • The SOL Sound

0 voters

1 Like

That was one of my daughter’s favorite shows.

2 Likes
  • Boney M.
  • The Floppotron 2.0
  • The 1905 Ideal Orchestre

0 voters

1 Like

Well, this was an inopportune spot to re-enter the thread…

4 Likes

• David Bowie
  • Shaun Cassidy

0 voters

Wot, no Tina Turner?

2 Likes

I was unaware of that version.

2 Likes

obviously, i voted for Bowie, but that little spoken word bit by Shawn Cassidy is just so bad that i was tempted to vote for him on the strength of that alone.

3 Likes

Still, it was a no-brainer. No Alexis Korner, probably no Led Zep.

Yes.

And if anybody does vote for the Cassidy version I truly want to know why.

I thought it was an amusing bit of fucking around by Todd Rundgren. If he’d actually sung it himself, it would have been better, although still inferior.

1 Like
  • Woody
  • Peter Tevis with Ennio Morricone

0 voters

3 Likes