Who Sang it Better?

0 voters

I only found out about the 1984 version today because of a BBC news story. See which you prefer.

1 Like

I may have heard the 1984 version back in the day, but I sure don’t remember it. The 1986 version is the one that I think of when the song comes to mind.

1 Like

These are metal covers of “I’m Gonna Knock You Out”.

Some people think Five Finger Death Punch’s cover is better. I’d say it is more metal. But I don’t think that it’s better.

I think Leo Moracchioli’s version is much better. It is a much better blend of the hip-hop and metal, capturing both styles in the song.

And also, it’s just him. He plays every instrument, does the vocals, and the recording, video, mixing, and editing (apparently a rule he has about doing covers). I think that’s kind of amazing.

Maybe not better than the original, but I think it’s the better cover.

And then there’s my stepdaughter singing it at karaoke, but unfortunately I don’t have a recording of that. It’s a fun song though.

This is the version in question:

And it’s competitor:

And of course, the original and still the best:

Here’s a more well known cover and the original

• Steve Miller Band
  • Paul Pena

0 voters

2 Likes

All these years and somehow I never knew this was a cover from the '60s.

2 Likes

Evolution of a song.

Here is the original with Pete Best from June 6,1962.

Second recording with Ringo from September 4, 1962.

The only version I have heard before today from September 11, 1962. Session musician Andy White replacing Ringo. Ringo was given the tambourine.

• Version 1
  • Version 2
  • Version 3

0 voters

Can you imagine being trapped in space with three Shatners?

Well…if we’re doing Shatner covers…

1 Like

Both good.

1 Like

I like the Shatner one better, but I’m a big Ben Folds fan and he produced that. The sung vocals in the Shatner cover are Joe Jackson, which is also pretty cool.

2 Likes

Yup.

Yup.

2 Likes

I’m torn on this one. The original is so good. The cover changes it notably but in such a good way.

• Al Green
  • Talking Heads

0 voters

Incidentally the reason I thought of this was because I happened upon the following:

Take Me to the River” (1974) by Al Green. Green claims he received more royalties from Big Mouth Billy Bass than from any other recordings of the song. – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mouth_Billy_Bass

2 Likes

And then there’s the queen of covers, Eva Cassidy:

1 Like
2 Likes

Add another contender…

(watch for the Marc Almond cameo)

1 Like

Very cinematic.

1 Like

Well, it’s 5 years later but I happened to stumble upon who he was.

Craig Allen Rothwell aka Spazz Attack

He kind of disappeared.