Why Not Call the Cops

Pshaw. Texas is getting soft. In the midwest, they pin a medal on 'em when they shoot unarmed people.

Although, to be fair, the medal was for the first person she shot; she might actually get in a bit of trouble for the second shooting.

FTA (Michael is the officer):

At the time, Michael told an investigator that after a struggle, the woman had tased her. Fearing the woman would take Michael’s weapon and use it against her, Michael said, she pulled her gun and fired at the woman who was then above her.

The woman told deputies that she reacted to being tased by pushing the Taser away and running, which was when Michael shot her in the back.

Both the dashcam video and data from the Taser contradicted Michael’s statement after the incident.

Or this one:

The officers were awarded the commendations a year after Ryan was killed.

“One of the suspects refused to drop his weapon and Officer Thompson was forced to fire his weapon at the suspect, fatally injuring him and ending the threat to all officers involved,” the commendation reads.

But Stokes was unarmed. As KCUR reported in July, that was just one aspect of the false narrative police constructed in the aftermath of Stokes’ death.

It’s not mentioned in this particular article, but Stokes was also shot in the back.

In both cases, cops shot an unarmed person in the back and then lied about it.

10 Likes

So the woman was awkwardly doing the limbo above the officer while getting tased and firing a taser blindly behind her back with one hand and reaching blindly for the cop’s gun with the other hand when she was shot in the back? I think that explanation needs a diagram.

Michael told a sergeant, “I’m not as comfortable with this one as the last one.”

They’re not even trying.

10 Likes

We know it was a lie anyway, but maybe she’s visualizing the woman standing up facing her but pivoting to run away, which is how I imagined it.

7 Likes
4 Likes

People at the scene following the shooting said Blake was trying to break up a fight between two women, according to the Kenosha News.

4 Likes

Hmm…might need to head north for a protest de jour

1 Like

The guy crashed into 3 cars and couldn’t even stand up without falling over, but did the police do a sobriety test? No. Hmmm…I wonder why not?

6 Likes

An officer shot the boy when he tried to flee on foot, Sgt Horrocks said.

According to data compiled and regularly updated by the Washington Post, 1,254 people with a mental illness have been shot dead by US police since the beginning of 2015. This represents 22% of all people shot and killed by police across the country over that period.

4 Likes

The Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) said the child had been wandering barefoot in an area of “lawlessness”.

But the boy’s family say police pulled him from the back seat of a car as his mother was violently arrested.

His mother was injured and later released without charge, lawyers said.

Kevin Mincey, another lawyer representing the family in a civil rights case, told the Washington Post that Rickia Young, the mother of the boy, had unexpectedly found herself caught between police and protesters while driving home.

As she was attempting to turn around, police descended on the vehicle and smashed the windows, pulling her and her nephew from the car, Mr Mincey said, adding that the toddler was then pulled from the backseat.

2 Likes
7 Likes

People in the comments pointing out that the RCMP are Canadian seem not to understand that policing itself is an issue, not just US police. The culture of “police” has been heavily influenced by the US, around the world, but especially in English speaking countries and very much so in Canada.

“Defund the Police” has grown beyond the US, because so many of us have the same problems and have had them for almost as long.

(Almost, because the colonization happened on a different timeframe. Canadian policing and RCMP in particular have been racist, ableist and sexist as fuck since the start).

8 Likes

Please tell me that this doesn’t include Dudley Do-Right. We all know that Nell and Horse were running the show.

1 Like
7 Likes

6 Likes

Not surprised, but disappointed. I bet they ain’t the only ones, neither…

5 Likes

Whatayabet it’s the national police union’s official training document.

4 Likes

Here’s a couple images

Notice they’re also using an image from "300,” which is a mainstream white supremacist recruitment tool if anything.

4 Likes

That quote seems absurdly irrelevant until you read it as if the slide is meant to inspire a value system that places unhesitating faith in your right to kill. Then the quote says that it’ll be difficult for other people to fight you, and it makes perfect psychopathic sense.

Also, I didn’t get that vibe from 300, but next time I watch it I’ll look for it.

2 Likes

To me it seems like the glorification of a small group of militaristic white guys defending Europe from an invasion of diversity.

3 Likes

The worm tongue character was a pretty blatant dog whistle.

1 Like