Thank you. Times are rough, this is true. I tell people spreading the word is more powerful and a better alternative to going deeper in the red, and it is true: Fundraisers shared on social networks raise up to 5x more. DB the GoFundMe operator told me yesterday 60 people had contributed.
If it were not for the coronavirus shutting the border, Tobin would have had cross-border medical transport for treatment in the US. To be honest, the treatment he had April to August 2020 extended his lifespan for a month or two.
people have been tremendous showing love in meaningful and manageable ways:
- dropping by with holiday meal and goodies (you know who you are )
- rescuing our possessions in a US storage locker from confiscation and auction, and storing them
- donating Amazon gift cards for comfort items for Tobin
- sending condolences to my son and to me
- demonstrating willingness to extend friendship to me
- sending flowers
- praying a novena or religious equivalent according to their faith for Tobin (Tobin wasn’t religious, but my friends who are in the habit of praying don’t mind)
- buying things I can’t order by curbside pickup
- offering portraits
- donating to pancreatic cancer agencies
- sending cards, writing letters
- decorating the flat with Christmas tree and ornaments
- giving me beautiful books on coping with grief
- locally, inviting me out excursions in parks, neighbourhoods, seawalls, and mountains
- offering me phone numbers if I needed/wanted to talk
We can’t possibly know that our neighbour, coworker, cousin, parent, child, partner knows somebody who knows somebody who can help financially and we definitely wouldn’t know without circulating. We will likely lose someone special to cancer though, even if they’re lucky enough to withstand and survive this pandemic.