Women, amirite?

I never noticed before that there doesn’t seem to be a topic specifically about women’s issues, misogyny, etc.

OK, so here it is!

9 Likes

I’ve been complaining about this forever, including telling car dealerships when their headrests don’t work for me (average height for a woman), etc.

14 Likes

This makes me angry for a few reasons. First, as was pointed out in the article this issue has been raised repeatedly for decades. I’ve read too many articles about automakers’ assumptions about size, seat position, airbag locations, etc. that lead to increased injury for women. Second, for all the feedback, clearly the folks behind this DGAF. I say that because when I was a kid there were no car seats at all. Every time I see a child in a car now, the array of sizes and positions of the seats (as well as laws/regulations about their use) amazes me:

So, it’s not like they aren’t capable of making changes to improve safety for women. They just keep deciding not to do so.

:angry:

14 Likes

I have only owned Japanese cars because I’m the size of an average Japanese man. The fit isn’t as good as it used to be as each of those companies have moved some design operations to the US. My 1983 Sentra fit like a glove, my 2023 Outlander feels a lot more like an American car made for a 5’10" man. Srsly, the driver’s seat is nearly identical to Mr. Kidd’s 2020 Silverado. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

11 Likes

I haven’t had the height issue in terms of seat size. I’m 5’8ish and have long legs. But it does come into play on the seatbelts. Why can’t we have better seatbelts? Ones that don’t slide off my chest up to my neck or at least are adjustable at the shoulder so I can rack it down a bit so it will sit properly. I figure it must be worse for shorter women.
It shouldn’t be that difficult to create a more adjustable seat.

8 Likes

I do have issues with seatbelts because big boobs. :rage: My old stupid Prius didn’t adjust down far enough for the belt to stay put. Fortunately, the new car is better on that front. Stupid Prius becomes Jr. Kidd’s problem in 1.5 years, but he’s already 5’8". (He’s grown 2" since mid-June!)

10 Likes

I should have been more explicit- boobs are definitely the issue for me too! I just suspect it is even worse for shorter women with big boobs

8 Likes

I got so sick of that, that I finally got an adjustable thingie to keep the stupid thing in place… something like this:

8 Likes

Does it come in a color other than friggin’ pink? I hate pink so very much (and that hate has everything to do with misogynist baggage the color now has attached to it in US culture).

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s not the one I have, just an example. The one on my and my daughter’s seatbelts in our cars are black.

But now I notice whenever I drive my husband’s car!

8 Likes

Inspiration: Pink Menswear

In the 18th Century pink was not a colour only for girls, it was quite fashion forward for men: suits, waistcoats, accessories, embroideries or buttons could go to the extreme of elegance of the whole range of pink, from pastel to bright and dark. …

Also, here’s the source of my calling tfg ‘merkin von bankrupt’ -

5 Likes

10 Likes

Florida is very helpfully providing PragerU videos for 6th graders. Here’s the one about ‘femininity’:

4 Likes

Never have I wanted the vomit reaction emoji more.

11 Likes

Yeah. I’m 4’11”. Cars are not made for me. My mom is my height, my dad and brother are 5’6” and 5’7”, respectively. We are short people. My legs are even shorter than my mom’s. I can’t even usually drive a car unless it has power seats because the manual seats, for some reason, don’t go as far forward or up. When I drive, my chest is about 3-4 inches from the airbag. I try to be a careful driver, but if I ever get in a head-on collision, I’m toast.

9 Likes

Hmm, I thought cars were a tall people problem. I’m 6’1", not super tall, and I have to lean the seat of my Prius back or my head brushes the roof. And then the legroom / arm stretch is all pretty awkward. And if I’m first in line at a traffic light I often have to bend my head down to see it.

8 Likes

We have the technology.

11 Likes
11 Likes

The Ohio Secretary of State blamed that loss on out of state money funding the other side. The Yes effort raised $4.9 million in that campaign. $4 million of that came from a single GOP megadonor in Illinois. Hypocrites, the lot of them.

14 Likes

And I drive a small car (Honda Fit)…it’s still has all sorts of problems, despite it being easier for me to drive, cause it’s smaller.

8 Likes