World history historical figures!

Huh. I’m just reading this book:

about Jacob (or Jakob) Fugger, whose life and business dealings touched all the issues of that time period. .

Steinmetz makes the case for him being the first real capitalist. Most of his money and influence was acquired by loaning people money. He financed armies, bribed popes, paid for royal weddings, and bought the election of the Holy Roman Emperor. If not for him, as one example, the Habsburgs might never have become powerful.

@mindysan33, you may know all this already. I don’t know how academically rigorous the book is. The book is definitely pop history and the writing is workmanlike at best, but I found Fugger a fascinating character.

ETA: Fugger rhymes with “cougar”. Apparently. :wink:

7 Likes

Here’s my six months late offering

4 Likes

That looks interesting… I can add him to both lists (to 1500 and from 1500).

I’m adding her to the list people can choose from for their projects, for sure.

4 Likes

Short /ʊ/, unstressed second syllable.

Source: spent ten years in Augsburg as a kid.
(And went to school with the daughter of the head of one of the branches of the Fuggers.)

4 Likes

I quoted Steinmetz, but since that’s probably more years than he spent in Augsburg, I’m going with your pronunciation.

Still, “cougar” is a closer rhyme than the English-speaker’s default of “bugger”.

4 Likes

Absolutely. I was trying to come up with a good English rhyme but failed.
Being seriously Northern English might help.

3 Likes

She knew the value of PPE and lived a full life, beyond her invention of radioisotopic dating.

3 Likes

Spinoza

1 Like

At Zebra, all the conference rooms on our floor were named for inventors. Yes, I did book the Tesla conference room as often as possible. But there were no women with rooms named after them. Now who wouldn’t want to book the Hedy Lamar room? And her work was way more directly relevant to our company than many of the other inventors’. But that’s the kind of thing men never see, how it feels to be a woman and every room is named for a famous man.

7 Likes

The University of Sydney Physics building:

Has the names of famous physicists carved in the sandstone band near the top:

067D680E-095F-4FB8-A75F-C2CB3EEEAAC8

Guess which name isn’t there? Rhymes with “Karie Murey”…

7 Likes

I am highly pissed off that no one told me about Cecilia Payne. And with all the science floating around in the household in which I grew up! That alone is proof to me that society is definitely broken.

3 Likes

Yeah, it sucks how much women who made ground breaking scientific discoveries were ignored until relatively recently. It’s good to see people giving them more attention today.

3 Likes

Hi @mindysan33 , with this thread bumped back to the top- could you let us know who or what you went with as your lecture subjects for the “Whole of world history to 1500” course?

The whole thing always sounded like a huge task, and I was left wondering how you made the tough calls of what to put in and leave out.

4 Likes

Sure! I’m going to reconfigure for the spring, as I have this again:

Otzi
Enheduanna and Ahkenaten
Cyrus the Great and Herodotus
Shang Yang and Ashoka
Queen Boudica and Hypatia
Leif Erikson
St. Patrick and Hildegard of Bingen
Judah Halevi and Rabbenu Gershom Ben Yehuda
Sundiata Keita
Iba Sina
Robert the Bruce and Prince Lazar
Zheng He

For the spring, I need to cut out ever 4th week, as I’ve been giving them a week off from lectures and reading responses and replacing it with a quiz instead. I think I’m gonna cut out Cyrus the Great and Herodotus, but am not sure who else?

4 Likes

You need to drop 3 weeks then?

I’d suggest either dropping Leif Erikson or giving a shorter intro alongside Zheng He.

I’d consider moving Hypatia alongside Ibn Sina as scholars, Queen Boudica alongside Robert the Bruce as anti-colonial rebels, and then Prince Lazar alongside Sundiata Keita.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Nice! I have modern world in the fall, so she’ll at least be added to my list of individuals that students can write their final paper on…

2 Likes

Probably wouldn’t fit most history classes, but fascinating:

4 Likes

I could’ve sworn I saw that name in “The Cartoon History of the Universe III” but nope.

1 Like