World history historical figures!

Thanks… I’ll add it to my list of figures students can choose from…

2 Likes
4 Likes

In the article, they forgot to mention Janis Joplin, who was very influenced by Mr. Ledbetter. I guess saying Bessie Smith being her main influence reads better?

2 Likes

At the time, it would have been a bridge too far for a Black MAN to get credit for influencing a white woman.

1 Like

Leadbelly also influenced the Doors.

But then everything about Janis Joplin was a bridge too far.

1 Like

No, I meant in the article itself that I just shared. Heck, if it hadn’t been mentioned before, how would I know she’d been influenced by him ? :smiley:
Leadbelly - Kozmic Blues

2 Likes
2 Likes

Plausible, but nothing can be certain:

3 Likes

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayeahhh! Issue number 7 - “All About Athens”!

It’s online! I’m guessing more than just this issue, which happens to include Pericles and Socrates.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Oh. My.

2 Likes

It’s a good thing Marshall wasn’t CinC; he knew his function and where his strengths lay.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

If this man isn’t on it, oughtn’t he to be?

2 Likes

Addendum: My new fave channel on YT. And I’m amazed it’s a “children’s” show.

3 Likes

Queen Vickie, and she uses one of my favorite words - fig! This really is a great way to teach/learn history.

1 Like

This is a man who was once called “…the screwball’s Boswell”. So he kept tabs on WHHFs, lol:

4 Likes

I happen to think that the average citizen is too stupid to drool.

Hard to argue with that. I also love the phrase “moderate to severe terminal business executive syndrome”.

Roughly reminds me of the wit of Erma Bombeck and Dave Barry. It’s been many years since I read a humorist column in a newspaper or a book by one. Maybe I should look up some of those older books. I imagine much of the humor flew over my head when reading them as a kid.

4 Likes

I’ll clue you in…Erma was a fan of Smith’s when she was a college student in OH! I wouldn’t be surprised if Dave’d been exposed to his work as well.

His first book, “Mr. Klein’s Kampf” is underrated. It’s silly, but it’s still funny - if you know what was going on at the time it was written. I don’t much like his later stuff, except the one essay about the Great Chili Cook-Off. He got really bitter. But I have all his books up to “Mister Zip”, except for a tome entitled, “People Named Smith”. And he editing an anthology, “Desert Island Decameron”, which is just great.

I could go on and on and on about what a great writer this guy was, but I’ll let you decide, lol. Also, if you want a treat, read “Rhubarb” and then watch the movie from 1951 and then moan about how awful it was that Hollywood couldn’t get it right.

3 Likes