World history historical figures!

2 Likes
4 Likes

In the article, they forgot to mention Janis Joplin, who was very influenced by Mr. Ledbetter. I guess saying Bessie Smith being her main influence reads better?

2 Likes

At the time, it would have been a bridge too far for a Black MAN to get credit for influencing a white woman.

1 Like

Leadbelly also influenced the Doors.

But then everything about Janis Joplin was a bridge too far.

1 Like

No, I meant in the article itself that I just shared. Heck, if it hadn’t been mentioned before, how would I know she’d been influenced by him ? :smiley:
Leadbelly - Kozmic Blues

2 Likes
2 Likes

Plausible, but nothing can be certain:

3 Likes

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayeahhh! Issue number 7 - “All About Athens”!

It’s online! I’m guessing more than just this issue, which happens to include Pericles and Socrates.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Oh. My.

2 Likes

It’s a good thing Marshall wasn’t CinC; he knew his function and where his strengths lay.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

If this man isn’t on it, oughtn’t he to be?

2 Likes

Addendum: My new fave channel on YT. And I’m amazed it’s a “children’s” show.

3 Likes

Queen Vickie, and she uses one of my favorite words - fig! This really is a great way to teach/learn history.

1 Like

This is a man who was once called “…the screwball’s Boswell”. So he kept tabs on WHHFs, lol:

4 Likes

I happen to think that the average citizen is too stupid to drool.

Hard to argue with that. I also love the phrase “moderate to severe terminal business executive syndrome”.

Roughly reminds me of the wit of Erma Bombeck and Dave Barry. It’s been many years since I read a humorist column in a newspaper or a book by one. Maybe I should look up some of those older books. I imagine much of the humor flew over my head when reading them as a kid.

4 Likes

I’ll clue you in…Erma was a fan of Smith’s when she was a college student in OH! I wouldn’t be surprised if Dave’d been exposed to his work as well.

His first book, “Mr. Klein’s Kampf” is underrated. It’s silly, but it’s still funny - if you know what was going on at the time it was written. I don’t much like his later stuff, except the one essay about the Great Chili Cook-Off. He got really bitter. But I have all his books up to “Mister Zip”, except for a tome entitled, “People Named Smith”. And he editing an anthology, “Desert Island Decameron”, which is just great.

I could go on and on and on about what a great writer this guy was, but I’ll let you decide, lol. Also, if you want a treat, read “Rhubarb” and then watch the movie from 1951 and then moan about how awful it was that Hollywood couldn’t get it right.

3 Likes

I recoiled from so many columnists because I started seeing one side (Buckley and his ilk) just being obnoxiously shitty and no one else calling them out in ways I could understand as a child.

I guess that was what the cartoon page was for. In this corner, The Wizard of Id and BC, which I thought was sanctimonious crap. In this corner the dead poets of Peanuts and the other recycled historical content (the fact that Garfield is in this club now is weird), whatever the fuck was going on with Prince Valiant (yaw), etc.

2 Likes