A Roundup of Worldwide Evil

Just this much: that not wanting to share is not sympathetic as such but at least somewhat relatable. I have seen toddlers express it, and I have seen them rise above it, and I think it is an impulse we have all felt and simply learn for the petty failing it is. It may be damning, but it does not dwell on what I worry is even stronger, straight up love of hurting others.

Many of the world’s victims deserve more – refugees and disenfranchised minorities and poor people everywhere. But I think at this point, say, Jewish people could probably stand just being left alone, and for LGBT people it would at least be a step up. Somehow even that’s allowing too much. And then you get to things like laughing at children jailed away from their parents, and selfish doesn’t even figure. It’s straight up wanting people to burn, and if the world burns with them it is a small price to pay.

So I was especially worrying about climate change. It is one of the biggest things here, and it seems mostly the result of greed incarnate, men oozing with more money than anyone could use yet still determined to lie and destroy the very world for a percentage more. But I saw a suggestion by Umair Haque which got me thinking, maybe they’re so easy to deny any problem in part because they like the change. Remember the “we couldn’t do it but God did” after Katrina? Stupid to say, but probably thought by a lot more?

Well, knowing what Trump and his supporters intend for Hispanic people, do we then suppose they were simply indifferent to a thousand of them dying from Maria? Or is that itself a bonus, worth some destruction and actual relief efforts elsewhere? Likewise would Bolsonaro, with his active desire to purge the country, even mind that destroying the Amazon might exacerbate some crises where his government might choose who is helped or left to die? Climate change is encouraging fascism now; maybe we’re not the only ones who have noticed.

That’s where I was coming from, anyway. And yeah, there we were too much like selfish toddlers seemed an almost heartwarming take. Maybe it’s still a better one, though. Fingers crossed.

11 Likes
6 Likes

In that case, we need an extinction level event to take out humanity. We don’t deserve to live anymore as a species.

7 Likes

I hate to “like” that, but I agree. My SO hates it when I talk like that, though.

5 Likes

This petty stupidity has been going on for years, and it continues to be disturbing.

A bit of background:

The trial stems from an argument Asia Bibi, whose full name is Asia Noreen, had with a group of women in June 2009.

They were harvesting fruit when a row broke out about a bucket of water. The women said that because she had used a cup, they could no longer touch it, as her faith had made it unclean.

7 Likes

Religion, the original LARP.

8 Likes

Beat count not enough.
Seasonal reference too
Must Haiku have. Spring!

7 Likes
6 Likes

Except a lot on “the left” do understand that.

I mean sheesh, Roddenberry spelled it out in Star Trek very clearly. The eco wars of the 2020s ripped society apart. Federation society is very pointedly not capitalist, which is why the Ferengi stick out so much, and why they are not a Federation planet, even though they trade and interact with the Federation a lot.

11 Likes
6 Likes

We really need a BrExit thread.

Jo Johnson has quit as transport minister and called for the public to have a fresh say on Brexit.

The MP, who is Boris Johnson’s brother but voted Remain in the referendum, said the deal being negotiated with the EU “will be a terrible mistake”.

Arguing Britain was “on the brink of the greatest crisis” since World War Two, he said what was on offer wasn’t "anything like what was promised.

7 Likes

No honor among thieves, and it all falls apart.

Like “it’s not the crime, it’s the coverup” perpetrators never learn.

“Don’t get overly greedy if you’ve gotten away with it” is the downfall of many a stupid criminal. If they’d just shut up and given the dude his cut, they’d have got away clean.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Sometimes there aren’t enough shotgun shells.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Oh ffs.

ETA: people still think long hair is a bad thing??? Do they know what century this is?

10 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

In one lengthy 2012 email, Zuckerberg explains his decision to allow developers access to Facebook’s platform only if the developers in turn encouraged their app’s users to share back to Facebook. He calls this “reciprocity.”

First thing that springs to mind:

Ask any of the chickies in my pen:
They’ll tell you I’m the biggest mother… hen.
I love them all, and all of them love me,
Because the system works:
The system called,
“Reciprocity.”

7 Likes

I’ll remember that.

If the Bookface ever goes belly up, He Had It Comin’.

3 Likes