A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

1 Like

That twenty years appears to be shrinking rapidly.

Context for non-locals:

Canavan is an extreme-right fashy climate denialist fool…and a Senator. This should give an adequate impression of him…

2 Likes
3 Likes

Eggboy is now a Covid-denialist, scientific-medicine-is-a-conspiracy type daft antivax hippy.

Guess how he got there?

3 Likes

Aw, that’s a shame.

2 Likes

Some zeitgeisty Oz history:

Which reminds me of something I posted the other day:

3 Likes

Akala at the Melbourne Writer’s Festival:

1 Like

ALP Mayor in inner-western Sydney attempting to import the UK’s daft “clap for essential workers” nonsense.

2 Likes

Nooooooo! Jesus fucking christ, is nothing sacred anymore?

1 Like

Eh, it’s a nice outlet for 'em. And it’s fairly positive, idn’t it?

From the UK experience, it appeared that the “clap for the NHS” thing was primarily a way for politicians to appear supportive of the NHS medical staff while simultaneously fighting against raising their pay.

Want to show support for nurses etc? Raise their pay and hire more of them, so they aren’t forced into doing eighteen hour shifts all the time.

4 Likes

But also let the people for whom they care show their gratitude and support. Because for some of us, that’s all we can do.

Nonentity put this in the LintToC19 thread, but I don’t know if you viewed it. Is the situation similar down there?

And I’m not trying to divert the thread; I’m just trying to learn more about your part of the world. I’m like Sheriff McCullough in “Support Your Local Sheriff”:

My Dad’s bang in the middle of it. Vaxxed, but vaxxed ≠ immune, and he’s going spare from boredom.

5 Likes

Speaking of Newtown:

4 Likes

AKA they’re sending the military into the southwest suburbs.

LOTE = language other than English.

Reminder that the outbreaks have been originating in the beach suburbs and the northeast.

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

“We need to raise the rent because we’re also making huge capital gains without any work, innovation or risk”

As with everywhere else: there are still some vacant properties around, and new construction is heavily focused on luxury and investment property rather than affordable housing.

Tasmania has less reserve housing than most places, but still: the core issue isn’t a shortage of housing, it’s a surplus of landlords.

2 Likes
3 Likes

When I was visiting the USA, I noted the bear-proof bins in the national parks.

In Oz…

4 Likes