A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

2 Likes

Courtesy of Kudelka, Tasmania’s strategic reserve cartoonist:

2 Likes

Keating (one of the bastards who destroyed the Australian union movement) discussing Clinton (the bastard):

Somewhat unusual to see the malevolent influence flowing in the other direction. Although our immigration policies have been regrettably influential overseas as well.

1 Like

:thread:

1 Like

Ohhh, I could tell you “welfare” stories that would curl or straighten your hair, depending on its original state!

1 Like
5 Likes

Thread:

2 Likes
4 Likes

Fish farming has been copping a justified PR battering in Tasmania over recent years.

The local industry likes to set up shop in delicate wilderness areas and dump epic amounts of toxic crap into the water. Think of the worst stereotypes of industrial pig farming transplanted into a marine environment. They’re also fond of exterminating competing marine life (e.g. seals) and tend to be careless of the health of their fish stock.

Most of the fish farmers were removed from the Tamar ages ago, but there is one remaining. It’s about a third of the way to Launceston, at the southern end of Long Reach. I go there fairly often to watch the seals that hang around it.

Today:

1 Like

This is what Coober Pedy usually looks like:

Thanks to recent flooding, it now looks like this:

4 Likes
1 Like

Yeah, I remember that name from “The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert” - what a diff!

1 Like

2 Likes

Apparently now up to something like 70,000 dead 5kg salmon.

Cooler weather today though, so hopefully that will help.

1 Like
1 Like

Five hundred tons of rotting fish.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Consensus I’m hearing is that Labor managed to take a wedge attempt, neuter it somewhat (using LGBT people in a shitty way, granted) and then have the bill blow up in the Liberal’s face because it wasn’t bigoted enough.

I’m not sure if I give them that much 4D chess credit, but at least that POS bill isn’t going through anymore, and the ALP isn’t smelling as bad as the Libs are right now.

1 Like

That’s the ALP spin on it, yeah.

C1, D2, D3 and E4.

I wouldn’t underestimate the extent to which a substantial faction of the ALP genuinely support the bill. The heirs of Santamaria still have a regrettable amount of influence.

The amendments that caused the Coalition to temporarily shelve it did not come from the ALP, btw.

3 Likes