All the healthy stuff

also, if it helps any, the procedure is totally easy. i didn’t even find the prep too terrible, but i know everyone is different. but i guess just don’t worry about the procedure. it’s super easy.

4 Likes

I’m not going under anesthesia, so I imagine it will be unpleasant but won’t take all day. the nurse practitioner said many doctors and medical folks stay awake for this. That made me less nervous. The prep was not too bad but I’m not used to being hungry for an entire day, which makes me feel like a bit of a hot house flower, now that I type that out loud in public.

I do declare, so far this process has been mildly unpleasant and somewhat inconvenient.

6 Likes

No anesthesia?? well, that will definitely be more interesting than mine, when one second they are knocking me out, and the next i was waking up and going, “whaahappen? 'sdone already??”

4 Likes

Getting my person to take a day off work is a problem and i don’t want to call in too many favors. I hope i didn’t make a mistake but I’m on the ride now, can’t get off

3 Likes

oh, i get it. i am sure it will be fine. just a much more interesting experience than not remembering it entirely.

3 Likes

Now I’m thinking “may you have interesting colonoscopies” is definitely the next level up to “may you live in interesting times”.

6 Likes

It was more interesting that it would have been while asleep because I got to see my colon, but medically not interesting at all. Thank goodness. Really very painful, but not the whole time. I almost passed out and my heart rate dropped but they stopped for a minute so i could steel myself and relax. And we finished up with nothing to report.

I am waiting on my lunch. If i had to do it again i might call in that favor but its over and it’s fine.

4 Likes

glad to hear it all came out ok! (pun intended)

4 Likes

Enemy shit off the port bowel!

2 Likes

I’ve only ever had to have someone physically show up to take me home, so I’ve scheduled to be done by mid-afternoon or so, so it isn’t a whole day of someone’s time. If they’re required to sit there the whole time, that seems excessive.

3 Likes

I agree. The paperwork said the person could not even leave the hospital campus, and it took 4 hours total. A drop off / pick up would have been easier.

Ah well, live and learn.

3 Likes

An interested essay on how doctors have assumed every unexplained illness and/or condition must be psychosomatic:

(Yeah, I associate condition-skeptic with exactly that attitude, rather than with challenging that attitude.)

3 Likes

we find that psychosomatic explanations were once popular for various diseases, from epilepsy, asthma, and colitis to diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis

When I developed Crohn’s disease (they thought it was ulcerative colitis back in 1963; I didn’t get properly diagnosed till about 1978) the message I got was that it was all my fault (at least in the simplified way a child of 9 might think of it). I got therapy based on "why are you so nervous/stressed/tense that you have this psychosomatic illness instead of “how can we help with the stress the disease causes.”

The fact that it was an immune system screw-up wasn’t identified till the mid-70’s, if I’ve interpreted what I’ve read correctly.

6 Likes

I had a friend as a child (around age 6 or so, in the 1960s) that the adults would whisper about because she had an ulcer and everyone was saying it was due to stress because her parents were divorced.

2 Likes

Have you watched the 1950s-60s Perry Mason? A few of the stories had murders with the motive having to do with abortion, children out of wedlock, and mental illness. Gasp.

2 Likes

Along the lines of being healthier to talk about illness rather than hiding it, here’s a TED talk by Jenny Lawson, author of the memoir Let’s Pretend This Never Happened, which I read a week or two ago. She also wrote a book I’m now reading, Broken, in which she talks about her mental illness in some unique and extremely funny ways.

Is it normal to get a sore throat after eating raw onions, or is it a symptom?

Apparently some people suggest using raw onion juice to treat a sore throat, which sounds as ridiculous as using honey, or using nsaids to stop pain, or using antihistamines to stop allergy attacks, or … all of which may not sound ridiculous if you’re not allergic to them.

2 Likes

Has this happened before? If not, the only things I can think of is the onion was a different variety, fertilized or handled differently, or just was a stronger one than usual. Or it was a coincidence, and the sore throat is from something else.

I get a sore throat just from talking more that usual (e.g., when out to dinner with friends), especially if I have to talk louder than normal due to background noise.

It’s recurring. I’ve just assumed it was normal after eating raw onions, since it happens every time, and I’m font of recipes with raw or nearly-raw onions, but is it?

1 Like

I’d say it was some kind of sensitivity. I can eat raw onions in a salad and I don’t have any problem, although I could do without tasting them all afternoon.

1 Like