Biden Our Time

Shit like that is why people say Republicans and Democrats are the same under the skin. :confused:

The COVID-19 “community level” in St. Louis County is currently Medium while the transmission level is High (because people aren’t wearing their masks and are pretending it’s over).

4 Likes

They’s alllll tools of da interests!

2 Likes

https://isthepandemicover.com/

It occurred to me that there must be a single-topic web site for this

4 Likes

Too many meanings layered onto one word now.

As someone double-vaxxed and double-boosted who just had Covid and got the antiviral treatment for it - there’s a huge difference between now and before when none of that was available yet.

Also, businesses have adjusted (work from home, delivery, curbside pickup) and people have adjusted (mask on, mask off, sitting/standing away from each other). Work told me to stop and go sleep because I ‘sounded like death’. And they’re used to, expecting to, have people be out for awhile. (Not all businesses are as good about it, but they all are accustomed to deal with it now.)

Yes the disease is still going around and killing people, but it’s way different than it was.

Using the same word ‘pandemic’ to refer to both stages doesn’t convey that difference. For awhile it meant “emergency we don’t have any way to respond to or deal with”, which is not the case now. To that meaning, yeah, the emergency is over.

At the same time, it is still spreading and infecting people, and therefore still pandemic.

It’s almost like we need a new word to distinguish pandemic emergency vs. adapted pandemic. But I feel like the ‘word’ for the earlier part of it would just be an ongoing blaring siren blast.

2 Likes

… endemic.

4 Likes

Well, yeah, it’s different now than it was. There have been various stages, more to do with the response to the virus than the virus itself.

But I think it was an irresponsible statement and lacked nuance. People have been looking for an excuse to declare the pandemic “over” and give up on masks, forget about vaccines and go back to crowded bars and…

…who am I kidding? Most people already did that months ago.

Things haven’t gone back to the old normal, things have moved to a new normal. But some people don’t want to acknowledge that.

6 Likes

Um, impeachment doesn’t necessarily guarantee removal or resignation, don’t they remember… OH geez, I just forgot about whom it is I’m discussing here!

2 Likes
4 Likes

Levin Report: Fox News Reveals Joe Biden Is Some Kind of Sick Freak Who…Loves And Cares About His Son
https://link.vanityfair.com/view/617af241112b25773a0cc41bhgxot.14hh/dd2beaa4

From March of this year, but still a good read.

1 Like
3 Likes
1 Like

I like that sentiment. ‘Anchoring’, I think it’s called. That if you set your goals high, ambitious, and try for it, even a failure is likely to have better results than if you’d set your goals at the bare minimum and succeeded.

Of course, there’s a chance it could backfire if you set them too high and utterly flub it. But the odds are generally in your favor vs not even trying.

It echoes the advice I see a lot from people in tech who were successful doing contracting/consulting or negotiating salary. If you set your rates low, you’ll get stingy customers who will nitpick and argue over every detail to try to avoid paying you, even if you did an outstanding job. But if you set your rates high, those stingy people won’t even hire you. Instead you get hired by people who assume you’re worth those rates, and even if the job isn’t perfect, they’ll accept the reason and be happy to pay you much more than the stingy clients would. Unless you totally flub it, which is unlikely if you’re actually putting in a solid effort.

5 Likes

Addendum: I don’t want big government. I don’t want small government. I want more-than-adequate government.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Not just with the topic, but sheezus pleezus, the shit’s coming out as fast as a warthog can make a right angle when being chased by a cheetah!

3 Likes

I love your way with words. Now I’m picturing an armored ground support aircraft (A-10 Warthog) being chased and defeated by a kitty-cat.

2 Likes