Blogging Ideas

I’ve been thinking about this. We’re really not set up for blogging yet… but that’s not a bad thing, because it gives us time to experiment. If you have an idea-- write it up!

As @tinoesroho has said, he’s hashing out a video game column. As for me… I’m not sure what i can contribute yet. But I’ve enjoyed talking about TV shows in the Whatcha Watchin" thread, so maybe there’s a movie/TV review column in my future. I also like discussing products and apps I’ve liked (though I don’t want to sound too much like Happy Fun Ball. :scream: ) I think it’s going to be a little while before I figure it out, but it’s fun to practice.

As far as I’m concerned, anybody who wants to write blog entries should give it a shot now. It will give us time to develop our writing skills, and by the time the blogging platform is ready to launch, we’ll have plenty of material to use.

10 Likes

I’ve got an idea:

Things I Miss

But not like at the Other Place, because I don’t actually miss any of these things. Just silly things from the past made even sillier because they’re on the wrong side of history and we’ve moved on as a society. Basically, this is a nostalgia destroying column to counteract all the pointless nostalgia out there.

15 Likes

Tang.

Happened to think of this because Metamucil tastes exactly the same.

Go for it!

6 Likes

As mentioned: I’ll do a photo and memoir blog. And maybe a cartoon or something.

Which will have no interest to anyone but me, I figure,

6 Likes

A thought. I would like to help out, but I don’t really know what makes a good blog entry, and have enough trouble writing regular posts that prove at all interesting. So I doubt I’m suited to this – but I also know I wouldn’t actually know if it were otherwise.

And I can’t be the only one here who gets impostor syndrome for everything, right? So I imagine there some of the things here could be reworked into great blog material, without the author necessarily realizing they could. If so, it might be helpful for those who do have an idea what would work to let them know? I mean, I wouldn’t want to pressure anybody, but maybe some would be pleasantly surprised.

Comics on the internet have been getting better and better, but I think it’s still pretty unlikely you’d make something that will have no interest to anyone. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Nope. Me too! :grin:

8 Likes

Looking at a lot of blog posts over at BB and the Gizmodo family I’d like to suggest an editor or ten.

Or at least someone who knows how to open Wikipedia.

11 Likes

I can help with the editing

7 Likes

Would you consider splitting this discussion into its own topic? There may be people that aren’t interested in growing the user base, but may be interested in blogging.

2 Likes

Sure!

1 Like

It’s also worth mentioning that this topic has been covered somewhat before:

It was pretty short, but I wanted to link both of these.

5 Likes

I can offer up shortish reviews of B and other cult cinema.

ETA Both the good and the bad.

6 Likes

I’m also available for peer-review/editing; as well as I can, anyway.

3 Likes

I could probably cordwain something together vaguely related to film, or other arts.

3 Likes

What if we were to create a YouTube Channel? It’s the fastest way to get content up and it’d give us visibility on another social media site so we could draw in some new people. Plus it’s free to set up so avoids financial issues.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to be a dick but the last place on the internet that I would go looking for new traffic to this site is YouTube.

12 Likes

I get that. It’s just so easy to set it up. but youtube comments. sigh

6 Likes

There are people who have good YouTube communities. The VLog Brothers and How to Cook That are two I k now of. I think it’s all about the moderation and some about the topics you post about.

5 Likes

I think your impulse is definitely worth putting on the, err, idea board so to speak.

From a proposal perspective, moderation is just something to put in the Challenges section. YouTube lets you add moderators to your comment sections. (Sorry in advance. One of my cats decided I needed snuggles. I might be a bit more disjointed and non-sequitury than usual. He’s being really cute but he’s sitting on one of my hands. :heart_eyes_cat: )

Draft for Youtube challenges: moderation.

YouTube comments are a wretched hive of villainy. This poses a challenge to our ability to grow a healthy community through the use of a YouTube channel.

We can mitigate this challenge by adding trusted members of our Elsewhere community to the Comment Moderation feature on our channel.

The YouTube moderation team would be encouraged to actively model healthy communication but they would also be empowered to take action to remove comments that:

• Violate our community’s anti-harassment policy (Eve’s note: Do we have our own anti-harassment policy or are we on a copy-pasta right now?)
  • Constitute bigotry
  • Are excessively destructive

In cases that are borderline, moderators would be encouraged to remind the offending party of our policy.

(Folks can build on this, edit it, toss it to the side in favor of something else, etc.)

5 Likes

What’s the content? Is it just stuff from other people or is it our own content?

Personally I loathe YouTube. There may be some good stuff in there, but it’s hard to find in the terabytes of absolute crap.

3 Likes