But really isn't it ALWAYS Halloween, Halloween, Halloween! šŸ‘»

My ex-MIL said that during WWII in England (her childhood) a lot of the dessert-type stuff had artificial banana flavouring in it. Consequently she couldnā€™t stand anything banana, fake or real, as an adult.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Yeah. My dad was in Eastern Europe during the same time period, and he could remember the first time he had a banana. They just disappeared from since places for 15 years.

5 Likes

Some people think ā€œbanana flavorā€ was meant to imitate the Gros Michel banana, which is not what we eat anymore. Others say the flavor is just a simple chemical and the similarity is a coincidence.

11 Likes

Fascinating article. And the picture could make a good Halloween mask.

4 Likes

14 Likes

Such a lovely cutie pie! Those eyesā€¦ :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Ooh, I get to share my motherā€™s banana story!

My mother, in London, tasted her first banana at the end of WWII when she was five or six. She didnā€™t like it and threw it in the fire. Her mother pulled it out of the fire, carefully cleaned the ash off of it, and ate it. Thatā€™s how precious fresh fruit was.

Regarding the fire ā€” my motherā€™s description of life in London during the 1940s is like Willa Cather writing about life on the Great Plains.

8 Likes

13 Likes

11 Likes

Those last two cartoons are exactly the same, amirite?

3 Likes

11 Likes

Arenā€™t they opposites?

5 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

It smells like someone died in here,

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-dorset-50146485/how-horror-smells-and-care-smells-are-being-used-to-manipulate-emotions

2 Likes

I took my costume out for a test drive on Saturday. My new giant hat is very pretty but might be too tight/heavy for me to wear too long. It spent most of the night on a table. I have a hard time finding hats that fit, my skull is not petite.

The music was all over the place this Saturday but mostly fun.

18 Likes

Neat!

Hereā€™s Lytaā€™s costume:

12 Likes

I love it! What a shame about the hat.

7 Likes

Wow. Itā€™s fantastic. The hat makes it. Sorry itā€™s such a PITA.

There are a couple of places I can go for Halloween but I have no one to go with. The bar across the street is one option. The Pinball Museum is a better option - less booze, easier to show up alone. Think Iā€™ll dig out my cleopatra costume.

13 Likes