But really isn't it ALWAYS Halloween, Halloween, Halloween! šŸ‘»

6 Likes

Looking for something to watch this Halloween?

Why not peruse this volume:

An excellent guide to the Horror genre. This is the first, 1985, edition, so itā€™s not exactly up to date, but still makes great browsing. Back before the internet, this contained so many films that you just couldnā€™t easily read about anywhere else. Even now some of the critical insights in the reviews are worth attending to. (Aurum is the original British publisher. It has also been published in the US by Overlook Press.)

4 Likes

More recent, but genuinely chilling:

3 Likes

For lighthearted horror funā€¦
A weekend of pubcrawling to come up with an idea,
3 days of shooting.

6 Likes

Ruth Vader Ginsburg.

16 Likes

If youā€™re looking for a more non-standard Halloween movie, I recommend the 1959 version of Suddenly Last Summer.

I wouldnā€™t call it horrific, but itā€™s disturbing.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a minor point, but Elizabeth Taylorā€™s monologue about her swimsuit becoming transparent in water, when we can clearly see on the screen that it doesnā€™t, always bugs me. Iā€™m sure it could have been filmed in such a way as to not put a lie to her claim.

ETA: Stephen King also classifies this as horror, having put SLS on his recommended horror movie list in the back of Danse Macabre.

4 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know.

2 Likes

Dad and I saw all but the first 20 minutes of the new Ghostbusters movie on FX tonight, and I liked it. Sure, it could have used a little polishing in terms of character development (did Kevin really need to be that dumb?) but it was a fun romp, and a good addition to the franchise.

6 Likes

The first twenty minutes of any film are critical for character development.

I liked the film, though Iā€™m given to understand that itā€™s at least as controversial as Star Wars VIII (among a certain kind of critic)

6 Likes

I think so. :joy: Given the controversy, it was meta and it was hilarious.

8 Likes

I thought Kate McKinnon was the best part of the movie.

6 Likes

He was so funny; love seeing handsome men do goofy humor.

3 Likes

I thought I remembered posting this recently, but I couldnā€™t find it until I did a search and found that It was in last yearā€™s Halloween thread. Where does the time go?

Anyway, itā€™s still a good choice.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve found a collection on YouTube which seem all right. Thank you for recommending them!

4 Likes

Twas not to be:

from the home counties episode

3 Likes

Has anyone out there seen Wake in Fright?

Itā€™s about an ordinary teacher traveling back to his girlfriend in Sydney who passes through an isolated Outback town, and ends up trapped there due to local bullies and his own weaknesses.

Directed by Ted Kotcheff.

4 Likes

Not yet, but I know of it. One of many Iā€™ve been meaning to get around to.

2 Likes

Well, Iā€™m a wimp, so I usually think of pretty tame movies for Halloween.

4 Likes

Ah okay. I just shrugged that off as some wacky psychedelic solarisation, given it only happens when Gatiss is discussing the importance of dream sequences in horror films.

1 Like