But really isn't it ALWAYS Halloween, Halloween, Halloween! šŸ‘»

Weā€™re doing a gang of RVGs here. My friend is doing the lace collars, and I put together the lightsaber/gavels.

10 Likes

I wonder what the crochet pattern providers are making of the upsurge in lace collar interest.

Also, love the gavel to light saber transition!

5 Likes

I bake cookies for Halloween treats. Iā€™ve been told that parents just throw them away because ā€œthereā€™s a lot of sick people out thereā€. Um, yeah, but Iā€™m not that sort of sick, you know, LOL?

At any rate, I came back with this, and they were surprised - and kind of glad - that they were wrong: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/halloween-non-poisonings/

8 Likes

I found that Friday night and watched it! It was fun.

Last night I watched this one:

4 Likes

I simply donā€™t feel like typing again, much less making the little doodles, lol.

14 Likes

Awesome sign!

I love how you specify ā€œchicken eggsā€. Itā€™s a way more comprehensible list of ingredients than the ones on the average candy packet.

I just realised much those urban myths benefit mass production. Same thing with all the scare stories leading to recommendations to take your kids to the mall instead of door-to-door in the name of ā€œsafetyā€.

11 Likes

Enjoy a new, Halloween video by Cyriak:

And if you enjoy spiders:
5 Likes

Oh, thatā€™s a fun movie! A bit flawed, and not for those who donā€™t like gore or gross humor, but definitely fun. I like how they tried to work out a different take on zombie mythology. And some of the minor characters were terrific, like the folksy sheriff and the librarian defending her books. Having a country-western singer provide musical narration throughout really worked for me-- especially after he dies midway through and switches sides, rooting for the villain with rock/rap zombie tunes.

3 Likes

Happy Halloween you Elsewhere Freaks!

12 Likes

ā€¦

Phantom of the Opera is totally going to be my next yearā€™s costume.

Edit to add: ā€¦and Iā€™m putting something way grosser under the mask than Gerard Butlerā€™s mild sunburn.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Today of all days, we need to talk about a serious subject: PCT, Parental Candy Thievery. Now every kid accepts that parents are going to wet their beaks a little while checking the trick-or-treat candy for razor blades and poison. Itā€™s no different than getting cargo through customs, everyone wants a little taste. However continuing over the next few days to sneak Smarties or steal handfuls of Milky Ways is a sure sign of PCT. Itā€™s wrong and you have a problem. Your children stomped door-to-door begging for that candy, covering more ground in one night than you jog in a month. You can go to the store and buy your own candy anytime. Your children donā€™t need to question their sanity as their hard earned candy stash seems to evaporate into the air. This Halloween, donā€™t let Parental Candy Thievery ruin your family!

15 Likes

Do you know how many hours I spent on those damn costumes, not to mention the free pumpkin carving lessons? Those entitled little brats owe me a few mini Kit Kats.

14 Likes

To win the hand of his lady love, a man convinces an accomplice to dress up as a mummy, so that he can sell him to her father, an Egyptologist. But there are a couple Egyptians lurking about looking for mummies as wellā€¦

The first blacksploitation horror spoof?

No, probably not, but a fascinating little oddity regardless. Unfortunately incomplete. I guess Iā€™ll have to fork over for the Pioneers of African American Cinema Blu-Ray set to find out how it ends.

5 Likes

my own personal tradition is to watch Something Wicked This Way Comes. itā€™s ripe for a remake, but they would be hard-pressed to find anyone as perfect for the role of Mr. Dark as Jonathan Pryce. omg, heā€™s so delicious.

7 Likes

We werenā€™t allowed certain types of candy. No Tootsie Rolls or anything else that would stick to fillings; no jawbreakers or anything else super-hard. We also freely gave our parents all the black balls and other black licorice candy ā€“ it was their favourite, but somehow that didnā€™t get passed on.

My dad, who had a grand total of one cavity his entire life, would eat all the verboten stuff that took his fancy. Most of it he just threw out, but he would eat the jawbreakers sometimes. Partly to freak out my mum, I think.

9 Likes

Our younger kidsā€™ taste in candy is not particularly sophisticated, which is fine. It would be dangerous and expensive living here if the kids liked the good stuff. I too love the black licorice, and my kids donā€™t, so that works out. And the older kids will willingly give up the Euro-Smarties (ā€œyuck, these arenā€™t Smarties!ā€) which is fine because I like them, as does RatBoy the Younger, who doesnā€™t remember USian Smarties.

10 Likes

Other way around, little ones: your ā€œSmartiesā€ are actually Rockets.

7 Likes

My normally ill-tempered mail carrier came to the door just now, with a package.

Dude was dressed up as a clown, with makeup and everything. Hilarious. The way he said ā€œHappy Halloweenā€ makes me think it was not really his idea. Heh.

Meanwhile, Iā€™m here in my robe and slippers like every other day of the year.

11 Likes

I had to make a new sign - different recipe, LOL!

12 Likes