But really isn't it ALWAYS Halloween, Halloween, Halloween! šŸ‘»

Thanks!

3 Likes

Word.

8 Likes

I think Rockets are a Canadian thing, eh? Here we see something similar called Fizzers that are of British origin. They seem to sell them here on the continent as well, at least until Brexit. USian Sweet Tarts (marketed here by Wonka/Nestle) are starting to show up in the last year or so. The kids like them though theyā€™re a little sour for me.

8 Likes

While youā€™re at itā€¦

5 Likes
15 Likes

We just shut down the handout racket for another year. We had about 60 little extortionists, a fairly typical number.

One teenager had about twenty empty candy boxes pinned to his sweats. You guessed it: Smartie Pants. :grin:

13 Likes

900 pieces of candy given out in just over 3 hours, and that was with me carefully doling out the candy instead of holding the bucket and telling the kids to only pick one (spoiler: some children are unable to follow that command properly when staring down a bucket of candy).

Then on to a grownup party, walking about a mile in our 3 RVG costumes, to much attention and appreciation. Except that most people thought we were Darth Vaders, or ā€œNuns on the runā€, whatever that means.

Tired, but it was a good day.

11 Likes

So, donā€™t watch this unless you are doing actual research.

11 Likes

The Vic Mizzy soundtrack for The Ghost And Mr. Chicken was great stuff. Also it is very fun and worth seeing film.

ETA if the comedy horror is more your thing.

Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone and a story by Richard Mathesonā€¦

4 Likes

This thread:

12 Likes

protection racket

11 Likes

Iā€™m researching dance.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Where we used to live, we had tons of trick or treaters, couldnā€™t keep the candy bowl full, and we went all out - yard decorations, haunted house entryway, etc. It was a big holiday, maybe our biggest. But since we moved we get zero trick or treaters. This year, with me having to work 16 hours and my wife also having to work all day, we didnā€™t really do anything.

I did dress in silly clothes for fun. And I tried to follow the tradition set by @eve. Iā€™d say I succeeded at day one (made potato soup just like mom used to make) and did okay with day three (dressed like teenage me would and took on my teen attitude toward stuff), though I didnā€™t really do the reconnection bit on day 2.

Thatā€™s good enough for me. Have a family party coming Saturday and Iā€™ve just decided I can keep watching spooky movies and living Halloween at least until then. If itā€™s in the middle of the week, may as well make a full week of it.

5 Likes

We had ONE little girl (a killer clownā€¦ or in retrospect, maybe just a Juggalo) visit us last night as we sat in the driveway, my spouse in a nifty witch costume, me in my work clothes and a hoodie playing my Nintendo Switch.

Then it started drizzling and my spouseā€™s phone battery died and we called it quits. As we headed out to find some dinner, there were a few knots of kids on other streets in the neighborhood but not ours ā€“ itā€™s a dead end, poorly lit, and down a hill theyā€™d have to climb back up so it must just be an unattractive proposition.

So until we saw those other kids, I saw only three costumes yesterday ā€“ ONE person at the plaza where I work (office buildings, restaurants and bars) had dressed as Waldo.

I hope Wolfenoot fares better than Halloween did.

8 Likes

after the kids tapered off, we turned off the lights and headed off down the street to our neighborhood bar to toast Nevada Day (admitted to the union on Oct. 31, 1864), and when we came back i was delighted to see that our front trees had been TPā€™d. i didnā€™t realize kids still did that, and it was a first for us. it looks like they hit a couple trees on our block, so iā€™m not taking it as a personal commentary on our candy or anything. good for you, kids, keeping traditions alive!

7 Likes

Yeah! Recently I watched the beginning of the movie on YouTube with Goldwave recording, then saved as an .mp3 file for my music collection.

I think I saw Comedy of Terrors a LONG time ago. Thanks for the reminder!

2 Likes

As someone who quit collecting around '91, seeing Emma Frost on the team is always a big ā€œhuh?ā€ from me.
The way Magneto turned good and took over for the New Mutants sort of made sense; Frost was a very minor character the whole time I was reading, though. But thatā€™s Marvel for you. After 60 years you gotta create drama somehow.

7 Likes

I always considered it a successful Halloween to discover my jackolantern smashed to pieces. Thatā€™s what itā€™s there for, kids. After the trick or treating is over, itā€™s just gonna slowly rot. Throw that shit into the street; it feels amazing.

8 Likes

conversely, i jealously guard my pumpkin. i would hate for it to be smashed! i always compost them.

9 Likes