Earworms - I just can't get you out of my head!

oh man i love that song. and yeah, it gets more relevant every election cycle.

1 Like

That sent me down a very nostalgic youtube rabbit hole.

2 Likes

In case you don’t have enough chicken songs:

2 Likes

I have had Whitney Houston’s “So Emotional” stuck in my head since Friday because of the amazing lip sync on the finale of RPDR.

Original:

Lip sync:
https://youtu.be/AzWhRGZoMdY

3 Likes

Why? What’s the significance? I DON’T KNOW!

3 Likes

Dredged up from whatever subterranean memory vaults I keep ancient shows in (I must have worked on at least three different amateur productions of this over the years), Ivor Novello unexpectedly surfaced this afternoon, and he hasn’t gone away yet. I don’t mind him, if I’m honest. Makes a change.

2 Likes

This week’s worm;

5 Likes

A couple of weeks ago, @gadgetgirl’s post sent me down a youtube rabbit hole, starting with the Psychedelic Furs’ President Gas. Ever since then, this song has been rattling around my head, and won’t leave. I’m hoping there is some sorcery in posting it here. I have liked this song since the early 80s, but it’s starting to eat my brain.

8 Likes

Tom’s Diner was used to tune the original reference MP3 encoder as well

It looks like the original article has been memory holed, but there’s a section on Suzanne Vega’s site.

Suzanne Vega: “The Mother of the MP3”?

Suzanne has been referred to as the “Mother of the MP3” as it was her voice that was used as the model for Karlheinz Brandenburg’s [pictured at right] compression algorithm. From Business 2.0 Magazine:

“To create MP3, Brandenburg had to appreciate how the human ear perceives sound. A key assist in this effort came from folk singer Suzanne Vega. I was ready to fine-tune my compression algorithm, Brandenburg recalls. Somewhere down the corridor a radio was playing [Vega s song] Tom s Diner. I was electrified. I knew it would be nearly impossible to compress this warm a capella voice.

Because the song depends on very subtle nuances of Vega s inflection, the algorithm would have to be very, very good to select the most important parts of the sound file and discard the rest. So Brandenburg tested each refinement of his system with Tom s Diner. He wound up listening to the song thousands of times, and the result was a code that was heard around the world. When an MP3 player compresses music by anyone from Courtney Love to Kenny G, it is replicating the way that Brandenburg heard Suzanne Vega.”

7 Likes

Sat on the bus and just noticed that I’m merrily​ singing along ‘We Are The Crystal Gems’. The full version.

That’s today’s earworm taken care of then. :confused:

6 Likes

Yesterday on the bus, for absolutely no reason, I got the theme from The Magnificent Seven in my head:

(Of course the original. The remake was just a dream. It’s over now.)

5 Likes

An earworm of epic epicness.

2 Likes
1 Like

Thanks to @mindysan33 over at the other place (“If you ain’t got Mojo Nixon, your store could use some fixin!”), this is now stuck in my head:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

This is the one that’s been sticking in my head the most lately. It really grows on you.

3 Likes

They were playing this album at my local coffee shop today. Highly distracting. The video doesn’t detract from the song’s earworminess one bit.

4 Likes
2 Likes

And The Other BBS has done it to me again, thanks to pesco’s headline:

☆☆☆WARNING: STROBE LIGHTS AND STROBING IMAGES IN VIDEO☆☆☆

(The common link is the phrase “tripping balls.” And yes, I’m aware it’s a very rough song/video, maybe even a little crappy, but it’s extremely early Foxy Shazam. IMHO, they got much better at it. :wink: :heart_eyes: :laughing: )

5 Likes

An earworm and all about psychological projection!

1 Like

Thanks to a radio streaming service, this thing is now stuck in my head:

3 Likes