Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

They gave my dad chemo a few times despite him already being stage 4 when diagnosed. It aged him 20 years. The first time I saw him after finding out about his diagnosis he looked like my grandfather before he died. Somehow I managed to save my bawling for after the skype ended.

So yeah, you have my sympathies.

13 Likes

Make sure everyone gets a flu shot NOW so they’re no longer potentially contagious when he gets home.

11 Likes

I got mine weeks ago, so it’s covered. :grinning:

10 Likes

Ten minutes on the bus and the rocking motion on the highway caused my so much nausea that I was about to puke.

The bus stopped to pick some people up at a nearby village and I hopped off after quickly explaining to the driver that I understood that this wasn’t Jeonju and I was about to puke so open the door. He was nice enough to see if I was coming back but I waved him on.

I sat in the convenience store at the wee bus terminal sipping on a Powerade to hopefully settle things. After about 20 min I headed in, got a ticket back to Gunsan, and returned. I get to my ENT guy: He’s closed until two. It was 1pm. I went home and here I am, belly fulla over the counter stuff. If I’m still bad tomorrow I’ll see if I can get to the ENT before they close. All the while texting my apologies to everyone who needed apologies.

11 Likes

Be aware, the flu shot may only last about six months. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you think you might need a booster towards the end of that time (spring flu season).

• hugs * to you if you want 'em.
6 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving.

2" drain line from the Kitchen is completely blocked. Somewhere under the slab. Cast iron may have corroded or collapsed.

Back to My (Wild) Turkey.

9 Likes

Glad you had a backup. Hope it turns out to be nothing too major.

5 Likes

For $1000 I now have lines that are flowing and the knowledge that there is a spot in the drain line where the line has either corroded through, partially collapsed or there an “illegal trap” under the slab.

This is in addition to the confirmation that outside between my house and the city sewer line I have a valley in the line.

Home ownership. The American Dream.

Now I’m going to go rake leaves.

13 Likes

Some of my coworkers are leaving. Over drama - apparently some of the other coworkers have been downright shitty to them. (Maybe I’ll go into detail in a later journal entry, maybe not.)

Play it away, Cash. y-y

7 Likes

It sounds like there’s way too much drama where you work.

7 Likes

Looks like a step back to the bad old days

Note that British football hooligans have had strong links with fascism in the past. I don’t think it was a coincidence that it happened at Brighton and Hove Albion, which is a very LGBT friendly area.

8 Likes

charged with […] being a football spectator failing to comply with a banning order

That’s a very specific and British-sounding crime.

we will work with the police to identify the supporters involved

Supporters…such a positive spin. One must assume it was pronounced with a distinctly disapproving tone.

4 Likes

My car was prowled last night & a window was smashed. Not the worst thing – I don’t keep anything in my car – but I can’t get my window fixed until Monday afternoon & I have to cancel other appointments. Also, I’m going to have to Lyft everywhere because I’m not comfortable parking on the street with a broken window. Also, money I don’t have.

16 Likes

This is something addressable. (Things like this might warrant a thread of their own, it occurs to me.)

If a method to help out could be arranged, I’d kick in. Whatever you’re comfortable with. Let me/us know.

9 Likes

Oh shit. I mistook this for the “Fuck Today” thread.

If @staff could move it, I’d be much obliged.

5 Likes

Moved at @katherine’s request.

6 Likes

I truly appreciate the offer, but I think I can tough this one out. :smiley:

4 Likes

Certainly. Wasn’t sure how serious you were about not being able to cover the cost. I’m uncharacteristically flush this month, and happy to help where I can.

6 Likes

I got in a huge fight with my husband because I forgot to print off two blank calendar pages for him to put inside a notebook. I ended up walking the mile and a half back to my office, printing them, and coming back home. I can’t even summon the civility to try and talk to him about it, or anything else. Maybe tomorrow, or maybe I’ll die angry after 60 years of the silent treatment.

15 Likes

There’s a big project at work, and I’m working on the reports. Well and good. There has been some confusion about exactly how they want the reports delivered (meaning that, right now I need to download them, encrypt them, and send them out manually), but it’s being sorted out.

However, this project has been in testing for months, and I know that I’ve sent everybody involved copies of the reports generated in the test environment.

Now the project has gone live, and they’re complaining that the reports aren’t useful and demanding all sorts of changes. And they want those changes now, not for the next release in February.

And, you know what? Fine. With this project done, I have some free time. They tell me what they want Friday morning, I put my nose to the grindstone, and get a sample report generated for them by the end of Friday, along with a request for feedback.

And now, despite their urgency, they seem in no hurry to give me the feedback I need to commit these changes and put them in for testing.

Not to mention that there would be no urgency if they had just bothered to take a look at the report format and provide feedback during the testing phase!

I mean, seriously. Learning how to parse the input file for the report was a challenge, but with that done, I could make this report stand up and dance a jig if that’s what they needed. Reformatting a report isn’t hard. The more they want changed, the more time and effort it will take to get the chance reviewed and tested, but that’s hardly my problem. My problem is that I can’t even get the reviewing-and-testing phase started until they tell me if the report I’ve created says what they they want it to say.

Come on. I’ve done the hard bits. I’ve responded to their urgency with urgent action. The least they can do is show the same sense of urgency in signing off on the changes (or not) so that it can keep moving forward.

15 Likes