Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

Was this a wooden pencil? When I used wooden pencils in school, they never got sharp enough for that to happen.

4 Likes

Yeah, just your standard yellow pencil. Probably a #2, but that wasnā€™t as much a thing back then. Now that I think about it, maybe it was a lower (harder) number. That could explain it.

Somehow, it went in sideways at just the right level that it neither went up or down as my skin evolved over the years. Freaky. Good thing it wasnā€™t real lead (I hope)!

edited to add: It did go deeper into the skin at the time, of course, but once it got to its current level, it just stayed there from then on. So weird. I normally donā€™t think about it, but the joking between @Daveb and @gatto brought it to mind, and I decided to throw in.

7 Likes

Nope, just graphite, clay, and binders IIRC. I can see if youā€™ve just sharpened it even the tip of a softer lead could poke through the skin, then break off. Ouch.

6 Likes

Yes, but my memories of the things is that the lead is about six times as thick as a mechanical pencil lead, and it never stays sharp.

4 Likes

I managed to tattoo a dot on the inside of my leg when I dropped a pencil and reflexively tried to catch it between my knees. Of course, the pencil was sideways on and quite painful when it stabbed me.

13 Likes

Iā€™ve been surprised by exactly that reflex. I canā€™t recall what with ā€“ cup of tea maybe?

4 Likes

i had a friend in college who also had pencil lead under their palm, stuck in there from when they were younger. writing is dangerous.

i used to prefer my laptop. then i dropped it on my foot. basically, i eschew all communication now. itā€™s just safer that way.

11 Likes
7 Likes

Despite having a sore throat and feeling like a stepped on turd, the boss has begged/ coerced me to get out of my death bed and head in to Jeonju an hour away and help the new Korean teacher there try to bring five classes of out of control kids to a dull roar.

These classes were pretty much left to go feral by their regular Korean and Foreign teachers who generally didnā€™t give a shit. Normally thatā€™d be between them, the boss, and the parents but their attitude made my job near impossible when I go in there every second week. And itā€™s making the new Korean teacherā€™s job near impossible and she has zero experience.

So today Iā€™m faced with the truth that Iā€™m going to have to travel for 90 minutes each way to go play the stern daddy and then telling a new teacher how to do her job so she and the poor FT saps who come in after me can run an ESL class without spending half of their time telling kids to get off the fucking tables. I will have to raise my voice a few times today. I hate raising my voice in general but being ill on top of that makes me cranky and Iā€™ve only been awake for 45 minutes.

Iā€™d try to fake something more serious but then theyā€™d insist I go to see a doctor.

12 Likes

Dad went into the hospital for inpatient chemo today. I know itā€™s for the best, but itā€™s still tough. Heā€™s only there for 5 to 7 days, then if all goes well, he comes homeā€¦ but thatā€™s about the time any complications like low blood counts might start to show, when heā€™s home. Itā€™s all very scary, for him and for me. Iā€™m hoping all goes well. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

18 Likes

They gave my dad chemo a few times despite him already being stage 4 when diagnosed. It aged him 20 years. The first time I saw him after finding out about his diagnosis he looked like my grandfather before he died. Somehow I managed to save my bawling for after the skype ended.

So yeah, you have my sympathies.

13 Likes

Make sure everyone gets a flu shot NOW so theyā€™re no longer potentially contagious when he gets home.

11 Likes

I got mine weeks ago, so itā€™s covered. :grinning:

10 Likes

Ten minutes on the bus and the rocking motion on the highway caused my so much nausea that I was about to puke.

The bus stopped to pick some people up at a nearby village and I hopped off after quickly explaining to the driver that I understood that this wasnā€™t Jeonju and I was about to puke so open the door. He was nice enough to see if I was coming back but I waved him on.

I sat in the convenience store at the wee bus terminal sipping on a Powerade to hopefully settle things. After about 20 min I headed in, got a ticket back to Gunsan, and returned. I get to my ENT guy: Heā€™s closed until two. It was 1pm. I went home and here I am, belly fulla over the counter stuff. If Iā€™m still bad tomorrow Iā€™ll see if I can get to the ENT before they close. All the while texting my apologies to everyone who needed apologies.

11 Likes

Be aware, the flu shot may only last about six months. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you think you might need a booster towards the end of that time (spring flu season).

• hugs * to you if you want 'em.
6 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving.

2" drain line from the Kitchen is completely blocked. Somewhere under the slab. Cast iron may have corroded or collapsed.

Back to My (Wild) Turkey.

9 Likes

Glad you had a backup. Hope it turns out to be nothing too major.

5 Likes

For $1000 I now have lines that are flowing and the knowledge that there is a spot in the drain line where the line has either corroded through, partially collapsed or there an ā€œillegal trapā€ under the slab.

This is in addition to the confirmation that outside between my house and the city sewer line I have a valley in the line.

Home ownership. The American Dream.

Now Iā€™m going to go rake leaves.

13 Likes

Some of my coworkers are leaving. Over drama - apparently some of the other coworkers have been downright shitty to them. (Maybe Iā€™ll go into detail in a later journal entry, maybe not.)

Play it away, Cash. y-y

7 Likes

It sounds like thereā€™s way too much drama where you work.

7 Likes