Injustice Systems

Argh, I tried googling and I can’t find it. There was a photo series where some people in Africa would be photographed how they’re usually portrayed in western media – sad, crouched down, eyes upturned imploringly. Then they were photographed as they see themselves – smiling, upright businesspeople constantly on their mobile phones. The photographer said it was difficult to do the “sad” photos because the subjects kept cracking up.

9 Likes
9 Likes

Related:

10 Likes
8 Likes

The heating failure followed an electrical fire that erupted in the jail on Jan. 27, the latest in a series of infrastructural problems in the building. Little had been done, it appeared, to fix things quickly. On Wednesday, the Justice Department said it would have its ombudsman conduct an investigation into how the crisis was handled. While some institutional failings can be easily laid at the feet of inscrutable bureaucracies; in this case it seems that individual human beings plagued by huge deficits of compassion were to blame.

When visitors were finally allowed in, to see their husbands and partners, brothers and sons, late in the day on Monday, stories emerged that confirmed this view. One woman, a lawyer, told me that her boyfriend said that a guard had opened a window to bring in more cold air as a means of extending the pain. The inmates had been banging on windows to communicate with the world outside, and this was a form of retaliation.

The man, who was being held on an immigration charge, also told his girlfriend that he never got one of the blankets the city had sent over when news of the heat crisis broke. To what extent they had been distributed was unclear.

9 Likes

Thread.

7 Likes

“The greatest man who ever lived died via the death penalty for you and me,” Hutchings said. “I’m grateful to him for our future hope because of this. Governments were instituted to execute justice. If it wasn’t for Jesus dying via the death penalty, we would all have no hope.”

13 Likes

That… is the most fucked-up thing I’ve heard in a while.

And it’s silly easy to counter: only Jesus was the Christ. He knew he was going to rise again.

The two thieves who were crucified with him didn’t get to come back to life in three days.

15 Likes

#notallChristians

Slacktivist has a good post on tone policing as it pertains to Christian ethics, centered first around slavery and then migrating to recent times, referencing Sinead O’Connor’s ‘incorrect tone’ on SNL in 1992.

8 Likes

That is the most fucked up reasoning I’ve heard in a while. What’s next? Execution by crucifixion?

9 Likes

Only for easter. Special occasion.

7 Likes

That’s still fucked up logic.

Are you (I mean, the hypothetical you, or the non-hypothetical asshat in the article) saying that you would crucify Jesus had you had the chance? That didn’t work out so well for Judas Iscariot. Even Pontius Pilate wanted to wash his hands of the whole thing.

Jesus could have escaped his fate, but chose to accept it for the salvation of mankind. I don’t think that’s typical of death row inmates :confused:

10 Likes

Agreed. And while I male no presumptions about you, I know I’m no theology student.

If the preachers do their jobs, they’ll be shedding this in the pulpit.

If.

6 Likes

I wonder what this jewel of a person would think of Borges’ Three Versions of Judas.

https://southerncrossreview.org/49/borges-judas-eng.htm

I love this short story, but I’m coming at it as an atheist.

3 Likes
11 Likes

She reportedly told the boy, “Why if it was so bad here he did not go to another place to live?”

Because I care about this country so much I want to improve it.

Tempting as it is to just fuck off and say “not my monkeys, not my circus”

8 Likes

Not to mention the obvious part about how he’s eleven freaking years old!

8 Likes

This is America, where grown ass adults actually think uncomfortable and challenging speech is illegal.

Also where our cops are such fascists that they will find some reason to arrest just about anyone and everyone who makes middle class white people uncomfortable.

11 Likes

Also where we think the first amendment means giving actual literal nazis a platform to spew their toxic nonsense.

10 Likes

Arrested for resisting arrest. :unamused: Can we just call it what it is, kidnapped and held hostage so that some insecure people who are afraid of a child thinking for himself could feel better by bullying a kid as a power trip?

15 Likes