Injustice Systems

I think Caban’s endorsed by AOC, so from that perspective, yeah. Very tight race though.

6 Likes

10 Likes

With 99 percent of precincts reporting, Ms. Cabán led Ms. Katz by 1.3 percentage points. Roughly 3,400 absentee ballots have to be counted, with Ms. Cabán’s margin at roughly 1,100 votes. Board of Election officials said the count may not be completed until Wednesday, July 3.

But Ms. Cabán’s campaign said they felt comfortable declaring victory because the 3,400 absentee ballots would be divided among the seven candidates listed on the ballot, making her lead difficult for Ms. Katz to overcome.

Difficult? It’s an election, not a campaign. Count every vote, and whatever will be will be.

The good news is:

The primary still showed how Democratic voters in Queens were willing to entertain major change to the borough’s criminal justice system. All six candidates in Tuesday’s primary had backed proposals to get rid of bail for low-level offenses, move away from prosecuting sex workers and form a conviction-integrity unit.

10 Likes
8 Likes
13 Likes
7 Likes

The German captain of a ship rescuing migrants said she disobeyed orders not to dock in Italy because she feared those on board would kill themselves.

Sea-Watch-3 captain Carola Rackete apologised to the crew of a patrol boat her vessel trapped against a quayside.

She denied Interior Minister Matteo Salvini’s accusation that she had tried to ram the boat in an “act of war”.

9 Likes
3 Likes

Pigs lie and imagine flight.

13 Likes
13 Likes

Pigs lie and imagine the brown shirts they can wear.

6 Likes
12 Likes

13 Likes

I suppose the Republicans reasoned that they can still gerrymander, so what difference does it make?

7 Likes

If the gerrymander, in the next seventy years, tips over the edge of acceptability that monar-, shit, primogeniture fell over, six, seven, shit. A hundred years ago. It’s the tromping over of some rights, not others. Aw fuck.

7 Likes

Never trust an old man with a beard dyed that artificially black.

9 Likes

I think we’re well into “never trust an old man”, full stop, at this point. Some are great, of course, but the default needs to be: do not assume they are trustworthy until you get to know them.

8 Likes

TBH you should only say two things to cops. One is “Yes” when they give the Miranda and ask if you understand and the other is “lawyer”.

Outside of that, pretend you’re a mime.

7 Likes

Not quite.

Courts are getting all sorts of creative about how explicitly you have to be when invoking your right to a lawyer. If you don’t phrase it properly, they can continue to interrogate you without any consequence.

Example:

I think you need to actually say something to the effect of, “I am invoking my right to have a lawyer present during questioning, and am invoking my right to remain silent until my lawyer arrives.”

Unless you say it explicitly like that, they can still get you.

11 Likes

As in, unless you say it like you’re a lawyer yourself.

8 Likes