Injustice Systems

This is what the question was supposed to look like:

If I was a greencard holder, I would assume this meant I was going to be categorized (and detained or deported) along with anyone undocumented. But, I’m paranoid about stuff…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/04/03/secret-use-of-census-info-helped-send-japanese-americans-to-internment-camps-in-wwii/

11 Likes
8 Likes

I wonder how fast Rucho would be overturned if a few Democratic-leaning states agreed to an interstate compact ensuring multi-state at-large winner-take-all allocation of congressional seats, with the winning party selecting the appropriate number of reps from each state.

9 Likes

Straight-up investgate the shit out of any lege that that hews to the bigot line. Do each one as big as possible. Be clear that it’s a reality-based effort and don’t back down over that issue.

The problem is that competent investigative capacity requires practice and training and … there might involve some blowback against some rich assholes. Who have specifically signed on to a class war principle of buying off anyone they need to. And the worst thing about communists, to these rich dumbfucks, is that they can’t be bought. That was Marx’s one triumph. He created a framework of ideas that people could use to “prefer not to”. And give some political shine to Bartelby the Scrivener.

Arise, Bartleby, and investigate to your satisfaction.

4 Likes

Bzzt! The magic word’s “attorney”, if you say “lawyer” instead then they can just put you away without a trial or any due process. /s maybe? :sleepy:

5 Likes
10 Likes

Wow. He is so lucky. And this country should be ashamed of itself, that that’s everyone’s reaction to this story.

8 Likes
9 Likes

Murdered by a redefinition.

7 Likes

https://www.texasobserver.org/death-of-dog-trainer-highlights-strenuous-heat-and-working-conditions-inside-texas-prisons/amp/

12 Likes

By order of Warden Ramsay Bolton? The fuck?

7 Likes

It’s the hot new global trend!

10 Likes

It’s a paywalled argument using academic jargon that’s difficult to understand without access to twenty years of often paywalled discussion.

And arguing that these things were in fact illegal presupposes the existence of a court that can enforce that law. It ignores how things actually work.

4 Likes

Either they didn’t know that wearing that gear in 102 degree heat is going to kill the man, or they didn’t care (I vote for latter). Either way it’s criminal, and should be considered murder, or at least manslaughter.

Every day something new comes along (that I’m not surprised to see) that makes me fucking ashamed of this country that I live in (I refuse to say “my country”). Happy Fourth of July, everyone.

9 Likes
11 Likes
6 Likes

Oh, fuck, it’s Gizmodo. Which still strobes. And somehow my block list wasn’t blocking it.

2 Likes

“One does wonder, implicitly, how the Supreme Court got to this extraordinarily cynical view of politics and public service where this dodgy behavior is just part and parcel of the political game,” said Dan Weiner, a senior counsel at the Brennan Center for Justice. “I would like to see the courts grapple more earnestly with the thinking that, whether these decisions are correct or not, allowing conduct like this to go unsanctioned and any suggestion that this is just politics is just corrosive. And that has done a lot of damage.”

6 Likes

Last month the court rejected colonial-era laws that imposed up to seven year jail terms for same-sex relationships, saying they were unconstitutional.

The ruling was viewed by many as a step towards improving LGBT rights in Africa.

But Attorney General Abraham Keetshabe said the judges had made a mistake. “I have thoroughly read the 132-page-long judgment and I am of the view that the High Court erred in arriving at this conclusion,” Mr Keetshabe said in a statement on Friday.

He added that he would take the case to the Court of Appeal, but did not give further details on the basis for the appeal.

5 Likes

Grande Tempest in Tempe

10 Likes