Injustice Systems

Interesting that it was a police union (I think?) that issued these tweets – the very type of organization that is letting bad cops get away with . . murder.

12 Likes
4 Likes
12 Likes

Without reading the article, I’d put money on him being a molester

10 Likes

I wouldn’t take that bet, because I’m 99.9% certain you are right.

9 Likes

All told, we are barreling toward a future where every ritual of public life carries implicit consent to be surveilled: obtaining a license, driving a car, shopping in the mall, and even walking across a college campus or city block all open one up to tracking and database matching of some kind. Opting out would mean nonparticipation in social life—a consequence much more dire than the invasion of privacy. When participating in daily life means being searched, law enforcement ceases to presume that the public is innocent.

13 Likes

Back when I taught, I gave a class an article about this topic to read and discuss. (It hadn’t happened yet, but people could see it coming.)

Virtually all of them (and they’d be in their mid-thirties now) said they were fine with this on the “you have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide” principle.

“What about bad data?” I said. Nope, that didn’t sway them either.

12 Likes

That class: suppose you’re queer or trans? suppose employers may refuse to hire you if they know about your medical history? or insurers may refuse to let employers hire you?

Next class: reading on neo-Nazis accessing German police databases to target people.

11 Likes

Have you read Robert J. Sawyer’s book, Hominids? He describes a society with a type of mandatory mass surveillance – that is kept secure (somehow…) unless it’s needed to resolve a dispute. Interesting world building.

8 Likes

It’s done really simply: absolutely everyone is surveilled the same, no exceptions, and it’s done entirely automatically.

6 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes

I see it as a sign of progress that a (short) article about privilege and intersectionality is published in Forbes:

4 Likes
6 Likes
12 Likes

kid literally was in fear of his life during a brutal assault from his bullies, and as a last ditch, stabbed one.
judge found the kid - Abel Cedezno - guilty on all charges.

the prosecution team literally hid evidence and did not comply with usual transfer of evidence or discovery.

pride month is over. it is now wrath.

12 Likes

He stabbed more than one, and one kid died.

That doesn’t excuse either the bullying or the miscarriage of justice. It doesn’t even condemn the stabbing – bullied people get primed to overreact to a specific incident. But I can see why he wouldn’t get away with manslaughter.

I hope at least one of the bullies who survived learned what happens when you keep making someone’s life miserable.

11 Likes

Sadly, they probably learned that bullying can occur with no consequences on their part, and that the people they are bullying will be punished for defending themselves…

14 Likes

If schools don’t enable bullying, they can’t teach traditional family values…

9 Likes
8 Likes