Marjins Þridus

https://theestablishment.co/the-dismay-of-a-teetotaler-467118f0cafd

For me, it just tastes like burning, and then later, like aspirin, it hurts like burning.

4 Likes

I get it. I had a legit fear of dogs at one point in my life, because of incidents I won’t describe here. Having anxiety and depression issues hasn’t helped my fear of dogs either. However, it’s irrational for me to fear all dogs, and eventually my fear of dogs dissipated over a period of years.

2 Likes

I can totally sympathize. It’s like drinking alcohol is compulsory. Socially, there’s not much of an option to not drink.

I do drink occasionally, but I don’t understand bar culture and drunk culture, at all. Are they trying to show off how messed up they’re getting, or are they genuinely happy that jokes that were considered obvious and cringeworthy in eighth grade are funny again? Or is it reserved people needing a little dutch courage to overcome their shyness, but then overdoing it?

3 Likes

It’s a way to hang out that isn’t TV, might be your phone some of the time, allows for eavesdropping, and you meet other people when they’re in an especially good mood. Except when they aren’t, which can be significant too, especially if they’re your friend.

There are down-sides, but it’s managable, if not strictly mangleable.

5 Likes

I think I get the rest of your gist, but while I recognize the above as English, I can’t parse it in context.

2 Likes

Guess where I am.

3 Likes

For every interesting person I’ve met in a bar, I’ve met three obnoxious assholes.

Which is actually a lot fewer obnoxious assholes than I’d normally encounter :confused:

7 Likes

He a word.

2 Likes

I worded exactly the way I wanted. Poesy often relies on winesey, if not Rainiersey.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Animation warning!

2 Likes

And of course,when most people discuss globalization as a social issue, it tends to be about corporate/market globalization, rather than the egalitarian kind that some of us are pushing for, I really dislike how what are very broad terms literally get politically pigeonholed by people into very narrow niches. It makes it challenging to talk about anything.

4 Likes

There are lots of problems with the autogynephiles model, which its proponents seem unwilling to discuss. How does it account for the many transwomen who don’t get bottom surgery? Why does it reduce all trans* issues to being about “imposter” transwomen, while disregarding the roles of transmen in trans* issues?

(No doubt, since those questions re-frame the implicit assumptions being discussed, they would be considered “off topic” for “missing the point” about somebody’s pet issue.)

2 Likes

Nazis tw, h/t to Pharyngula.

2 Likes

Had a lot of water pour in from the floors above, last night. And was busy moving thing out from under likely leaks or moving them under tarps, and usng buckets, pots, pans, and the rest, under the leaks, all night.

Very tired.

Waiting to hear about structural damage and potential mold growth.

Checked on books-- so far 2 seem to have had moderate water damage, 2 more mild water damage, perhaps some others.

Running dehumidifier at full power.

5 Likes

Supreme Court tosses establishment and equal protection clauses:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/01/08/us-supreme-court-will-let-mississippi-freedom-to-discriminate-law-stand/

A state’s decision to establish one religion has historically been considered enough standing for others to challenge it.

2 Likes

That sucks.

Plumbing failure or extreme weather?

4 Likes

Both, I think. cold weather makes pipes burst.

4 Likes

One candidate better known for telling the truth than for telling lies.

That said, with the right district, she’d have far better chances in the house.

6 Likes

She’s released her 1st campaign ad. It’s full of flashing video; does anyone have a transcript?

4 Likes