Moderation Decisions

Say

*lolz

I’m gonna quit derailing the mod thread now; and go start a silly, meme-oriented one of my own, methinks.

I need more ‘silly’ in my life.

15 Likes

Melizmatic’s Mad Silly Slapdown and Uplift for Truth, Justice, and the way of Humans.

15 Likes

May I ask what the point of locking conversations that are not flagged is intended to accomplish?

This is the second time in a week that I went to comment in a topic only to find it “locked for awhile”, without, as far as I could tell, any flags or other activity warranting the lock, other than actual discussion of interest.

I’m very new here, but I’m finding it exceptionally difficult to participate in any meaningful way when I’m finding that either the busy topics (which tend to cause heated opinion and debate) end up locked for being… too exciting? Or a massive topic about banning a user that people apparently want to disappear afterwards anyway.

The mods want people to discuss things here, right? Things that might, sometimes, lead to heated discussions?

Perhaps there’s a policy I’ve missed somewhere, in which case I apologize for my naivete.

2 Likes

It could be that there are flags, just not enough on any individual comment to hide it. In that case, the mods may want to take a look, especially if the reason for the flag is one that requires a judgement call. But if the participants are still firing back and forth at each other with both comments and flags it can be hard to sort out and determine what (if any!) action needs to be taken. At that point, temporarily locking the thread may be the only way to figure out what is going on, and keep up.

There’s passionate discussion, and then there’s things devolving into a screaming match. The tricky part is encouraging the former while preventing the latter.

8 Likes

Really? That’s too bad. Good thing I avoid those topics anyw

OK now I see what you mean :frowning:

4 Likes

ChickieD’s the main active moderator right now. We share a similar work schedule, sometimes when fkags are piling up we have time wholst on break to quickly freeze topic but not enough time to examine then and there thr context surrounding a flagged post.

Mod burnout is a very real risk. We’re volunteers, often we’d like to just read and post too.

- tino

11 Likes

You know you’re not allowed to have topics.

There is a flag. I didn’t hide the flagged post.

I usually like to leave the conversation up so people can see why I closed a topic. Would it be better if I hid the flagged post so you know there was a flag?

8 Likes

It’s been 10 days. Is that long enough?

3 Likes

I’m really confused by the moderation policy here.

2 Likes