Molesters Being Outed

7 Likes

I’m moving to a cave somewhere and becoming a hermit. Our “civilization” deserves to fall at this point.

7 Likes

I have similar sentiments; if not for my kid and all the other truly innocent beings in this world, I’d say to hell with our society - "nuke the sucker from orbit "and start over from scratch; “it’s the only way to be sure.”

11 Likes

Yeah, there is that. I have a 14 year old daughter and a 5 year old granddaughter so giving up isn’t really an option at this point…

8 Likes

Okay, here’s a cool win on all of this. My daughter’s roommate has had the courage as a result of the #metoo hashtag to come forward about a boy on campus who harmed her. I am super impressed with how the school is handling this. Until the situation is fully investigated and resolved, she has been moved for the remainder of the semester to a room that is near the campus police; it has a locked bathroom. We are making a difference for our daughters!!!

23 Likes

WooHoo!!

4 Likes
6 Likes

Here is the text of the latest accusation against Roy “I’m Righteouser Than You” Moore:

What gets me is despite being a survivor of sexual assault, she still voted for Hair Gropenfuhrer.

10 Likes

that’s christian home schooling all over. they seem to have a fundamentally (oops) different moral code. one made from bits and pieces of the bible, without any particularly unifying thread.

they cannot expose them to society at large because it would “corrupt” the arbitrary rules they’ve learned.

groups like the amish seem a bit different. they aren’t trying to convert people, gain political power, or grab money. they seem to be attempting to live out their beliefs in a logically consistent way. for them it’s not a means to an end.

or, maybe philip k dick was right. religion is just a mind virus from an alien planet. and we’re all doomed for it. there are days that seems to make the most sense.

9 Likes

That’s basically Protestantism.
In order to construct a narrative that is even half way logical it is necessary to cherry pick. Even (indeed especially) in the New Testament.

The Catholic Church has solved this with “tradition” and “metaphor”, but Protestants who, remember, claim that everybody is able to read and understand the Bible, have a bit of a problem. A problem similar to the one you would have if you combined an alchemical textbook and a modern chemistry textbook and then told people everything in it was equally true. (The same doesn’t go for astrology and astronomy because they only overlap on observation.)

10 Likes

Is it Throwback Thursday yet?

9 Likes

*blink, blink*

Given his situation and how “well” that defense has worked for people only accused of minor traffic offenses, that seems like less of a “hail mary” and more like a “point gun directly at foot and pull until it’s empty” move.

11 Likes

In Dred Scott v. Sandford, Taney had ruled that only white men could be citizens. The 14th Amendment overturned that. So the “Sovereign Citizen” vs. “14th Amendment Citizen” distinction boils down to “white men who support white supremacy” vs. “any other citizens”…

4 Likes
6 Likes

Her photo was a pretty compelling testament to her story, I thought.

5 Likes

I think it’s instructive how differently it’s playing out, compared to other people who’ve been accused. No counter accusations, no weaselly half-denials, just a straight apology and call for his own investigation.

[edit:] I hope this goes without saying, but just to be safe: that’s not to say it excuses things or that there should be no repercussions. Just that the way it’s being handled looks (so far, at least) much straighter.

9 Likes

This notion of “It’s Alabama …” is very dangerous. I’ve been inactive on this board and others for months because I’m actively campaigning for Doug Jones. I live here in Alabama and even I want to throw the baby out with the bath water sometimes regarding this noisome state, but given the breadth and depth of allegations of women from all states and walks of life, it ain’t just another thing we can pin on the ignorant South. Sure, I’m terrified that Moore or another write-in candidate will win or that the national GOP will find an antiquated loophole through which to jump. But, I ain’t stopping my own stumping for Jones, nor do I think we can easily compartmentalize into “It’s the South”, “It’s the casting/newscaster/political couch.”

Until a state actually succeeds in seceding, it’s these United States and what happens in Maine or Oklahoma or Oregon does affect us all. To pretend otherwise is how we got in this mess.

Let’s take heart in the first transgendered person being elected in Virginia and contribute to each other’s campaigns.

25 Likes

BTW, we’ve missed you!

13 Likes

It’s not just the South, it’s not just Republicans or Democrats or Hollywood, it’s anywhere you have a person who does not see another person as their equal.

Saying “it’s Alabama” is just as damaging, because it avoids acknowledging the good people there (like you!) who are trying so hard in a corrupt system. And you’re right: it does affect everybody, because what the get away with in Alabama will be tried in Alaska and Utah and Mississippi and New York, and it will be tweaked just enough to get it up and running before reverting to its most damaging form.

Up here, we had Harper, who was bad. Next time it could be Scheer, who is worse. How long before “it’s just Canada” becomes the thing? “It’s just…” is just another form of “it can’t happen here.” It can and will if good people do nothing.

18 Likes

On many issues.

It would be nice if the folks who sneer at Alabama would remember that Lincoln only got 32% of the vote in California.

Yes, it’s often worse in the South. But it ain’t great in the North, either.

9 Likes