Molesters Being Outed

A couple of good thoughts on Roy Moore, Alabama, and whether his case is a little different.

A friend of mine’s facebook post:

17 Likes

Just look at the Midwest’s recent voting history, they were a huge party of the Tea Party movement and one of the places where the movement took hold and stayed.

9 Likes

Yep, yep, double, triple yep. (waves from the ATL)

Roger that!

11 Likes

Not molesting, but just his usually creepy behavior regarding women, which he’s been doing for decades.

Anyone ever hear his interview on Fresh Air years ago? It was fucking gross. He’s fucking gross.

13 Likes

Roy Moore, you may have heard, is still running for the Senate despite fairly well-corroborated allegations that, among other things, he had issues with the age of consent in a state where that age is 16. But then that is a rule of law, and if there’s anything Roy Moore has had an unpleasant and unwelcome relationship with, it’s the Rule of Law.

Apparently his lawyer is also a molester… of the English language. Ouch, that letter’s difficult to read.

8 Likes

That interview is a work of art. It is so bizarro with him pushing all her buttons and her pushing all of his. I mean it’s one of the strangest interviews of all time.

8 Likes

I’d argue that it’s still highly relevant; the roots of modern America lie in the failure of Reconstruction.

We’re getting rather off topic for this thread, though.

I believe the meaning is that “Deplorables” are not a problem from the southern states.

6 Likes

This has been rolling around in my head for weeks, and I’m not sure if this is even the best place to say this but here it is. In high school, drunk at a party, I groped a girl as part as a joke I told to someone else. It was not concentual by any means, I got slapped and never spoke to her again. It’s not the only gross guy thing I have done in my life, but it was the most aggressive. Over 15 years later it stuck with me in a bad way even if the guys that saw it thought it was hilarious.

I hate that I did it and was too cowardly to even apologize properly. I can only hope the damage I did to her was minimal.

14 Likes

Second woman accuses Jeffrey Tambor of sexual harassment during TransParent filming:

4 Likes

Do you remember her name? Perhaps you could try to contact her soon to apologise. Then, at least, your mind could rest, knowing you’ve done the right thing. Because ‘the guys who saw it thought it was hilarious’ in no way excuses your behaviour.

3 Likes

I commented on this on the BB BBS - if the set of something like Transparent isn’t free from this kind of behaviour, where is? Guess I’m expecting too much of Jeffrey Tambor. Despite the role he plays, he’s still an entitled, white, dinosaur abusing his power. Yeah, I’m disappointed.

3 Likes

And Transparent is such a gem. Every season gets better. I would for it to stop because of him.

4 Likes

I brought up how the joke was received solely because how many similar activities are still being treated as just a joke or just boys being boys. I missed the chance to apologize back then, and even if I could remember enough details to find her online I don’t particularly earn piece of mind.

I just felt outing myself was important enough to post, as high profile cases come through it’s important to point out how common the events are. No matter how much I wish I wasn’t, I am one of these men and always will be.

10 Likes

Your posts about this brought to mind that spate of bully confrontations that peaked a while ago (though I bet it’s still happening). Either a former school bully would friend a former victim on Facebook, oblivious that contact may be unwelcome, or else they would actively seek resolution and forgiveness, which sometimes happened, but often didn’t, because the victim didn’t want to dredge all that up again.

You’re outing yourself and owning it. As I see it, that’s probably the best thing to do without causing further hurt.

17 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. And, as @gadgetgirl said, good on you for taking responsibility for your actions.

8 Likes

A former bully contacted me by snail mail – using my new name, which was not publicly announced anywhere, so, stalker-y right there – and said something like: I know we both did things we probably regret now, but let’s be friends again.

This wasn’t even a sexual abuse situation, and it felt creepy. I’ve got enough good friends now who would never treat me the way she did, so why would I want to go back to being friends with her? Move on with your life, just like I have.

I never responded. But it made me feel icky for a few days, while I tried to figure out how I wanted to handle the situation.

The way to make amends is not to make yourself feel better by confronting your victim (that’s what it will feel like to your victim: confrontation), it’s by making things better moving forward. Whenever you see some guy doing something wrong or telling a story (with everyone else laughing and agreeing) about what he did…tell your story, or at least stand up and call him/them out on the behavior.

18 Likes

I honestly wonder how I’d feel if one of my molesters or rapists contacted me for forgiveness. I doubt any of them ever knew my last name.

12 Likes

Tambor’s casting in the show was a cluster all along. Somehow everyone forgot that Tambor’s role in the 2013 season of Arrested Development was deeply transmisogynistic, with George growing “weak” and “feminine” due to “low testosterone.” The season was advertised with the tagline (CN transphobia) who’s your favorite granny tranny:

ad transphobia 1

This is literally the year before he “bravely” plays a trans woman on Transparent and wins an Emmy for it. :grimacing:

6 Likes

Christ. I was not aware of the Arrested Development thing.

And I saw in the Guardian a few minutes ago that he’s now got all pouty, denies he’s a predator and feels he can’t return to the show because it’s become “politicised”. Playing the victim, for fuck’s sake. Also issues crap ‘apology’ but admits he’s difficult to work with. I suspect if the show continues, it’ll be better off without him.

7 Likes