Random Silly Grins

Cultural appropriation, you say? The England rugby squad has it covered for the 2019 World Cup:

I’m a massive fan of rugby but this video makes me die inside a little every time it airs.

3 Likes

Why… why would they do samurai armour when Europe in general and England in particular has tonnes of their own?

That’s like Monty Python levels of denialism.

6 Likes

Yeh, and that’s leaving out the whole incongruity-of-white-samurai thing, as well as glossing over Britain’s deeply troubling colonial history in the country during the Tokugawa period. There were Brits on horseback in Japan then, but they were mostly East India Company officials who were there to sell guns to competing daimyo, which were then used to overthrow the shogunate.

Plus that video is just tacky as all hell…

6 Likes

Not necessarily… just in the more action-adventure oriented animes… Not a lot of weapons in something like Ouran High School Host club or Kiki’s Delievery Service…

kikis-delivery-service-bow

Or something like this, which was only released on video (this is the entry for the manga):

3 Likes

Ryan Reynolds “trash-talking” Karen Gillan for their fantasy football thing they’re doing…

3 Likes

If they really wanted to sell it, they’d have bleeped out the “F*** Chris Evans” bit.

2 Likes

Hey, they didn’t bleep out “dolphin humping”, “pumpkin butter”, or “Pat Sajak’s finger”. Maybe they just saved the bleeps for the really bad stuff.

3 Likes

I feel really old…

8 Likes

In 1994 that’s an inexcusable level of ignorance in supposed newscasters.

9 Likes

THANK YOU.

I’ll never understand how people whose job it is to inform (as well as entertain) think being ignorant is okay.

Imagine Walter Cronkite trying to pull that.

9 Likes

Friend of mine came up with this years ago. I thought it deserved wider circulation.

High Colonic Irrigation
by Perry D. Riposte

(sung to the tune of “I’ve Been Working On The Railroad”)

High colonic irrigation
High colonic irrigation
High colonic irrigation
High colonic irrigation

High colonic irrigation
High colonic irrigation
High colonic irrigation
High colonic irrigation

etc.

6 Likes
8 Likes

Lloyd George Knew My Father
(sung to the tune of Onward Christian Soldiers)

Lloyd George knew my father
Father knew Lloyd George

Father knew Lloyd George

Father knew Lloyd George

Father knew Lloyd George

etc.

4 Likes

When it’s hog calling time in Nebraska,
Then it’s hog calling time in Nebraska!

(verses twice, followed by slow spoken word, and then rousing finale.)

5 Likes

At Home Depot we saw one of those new LED bulbs that tries to look vintage:

My wife said “I see it even has a reservoir tip.”

14 Likes

Did you learn this to the tune of Red River Valley, as I did?

6 Likes

Thanks, I had no idea what the song was. My Dad, a Cornhusker, sang it to my Boy Scout troop.

7 Likes

It works well on the “I’ve been working on the railroad” lines quite well, but the scansion suffers everywhere else.

Especially once you get into “Dinah won’t you now your horn,” “Someone’s in the kitchen with Dinah,” and “Fee-fi-fiddle-ee-eye-oh.”

9 Likes

What!? A blue cat!?

7 Likes

No it’s yellow!
No it’s blue!
No it’s etc.

7 Likes