Random Silly Grins

New Bill Wurtz - just when we need it! (spoiler: NOT a GH cover.)

That’s what I mean by layers! It makes me grin by how brilliant this whoe thing is. Most amazing epitaph design ever.

5 Likes

Yes, this is a real movie.

2 Likes

If that’s an example of the Illuminati race (if there is such a thing), they look pissed-off to the max.

If it’s not, the above still applies.

1 Like

We used to make fun of this one when it first went into reruns (although I probably did watch the originals in 1968 but was too young to remember):

ZOMG, it’s like a skinny variant of Uncle Fester - think about it, LOL!

2 Likes
11 Likes

One of my kids used to do that with the same sort of ‘developmental toy’. Drove me just about as nuts. But really, it’s like an exercise my 5th grade math teacher had us do, where we were paired up and took turns being the director and the actor, with explicit instructions that we couldn’t cheat, but if there was a way to honestly do the ‘wrong’ thing because the director was giving non-specific instructions, well, we were to do that. The point was to learn how precise one has to be in math, logic, etc. Clearly, the creators of this toy did not have enough people play around with it first, so that they could see how easily the slots could be repurposed.

9 Likes

Here’s an example to show what I mean. There were harder problems too, but this is a very basic one that gets the idea across:

• The director would have to get the actor to draw a square. If they didn’t specify exactly which direction to draw the next line segment, or at what length or angle, well, it wasn’t going to look like a square at the end.
5 Likes

I was fond of the “Make A Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich” task.

I remember being the only one in my class to produce a full sandwich. I took the time to figure out how each of my instructions could be willfully manipulated.

6 Likes

It’s a life lesson I’ve never forgotten.

4 Likes

I had a friend who had to create a sample online course for a job interview. She made a wonderful PowerPoint deck on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

On a related note, when I had a food blog I found that my tech writing skills really gave me an edge in writing good recipe instructions.

6 Likes

I had this peg toy as a kid. It had a metal flap on the bottom so the pegs could go only one way. I used the handle of the mallet to pry open the flap and push the pegs in the opposite direction. Toys teach revolution.

6 Likes

I remember that toy! I had a younger brother who had toys (I didn’t) so I didn’t really play with it, but I recognize it after all these years!

5 Likes

I could never make sense of that task except to make a joke of it. There’s no context so I treat it like a bullshit task and write half a page of document control information before I even start.

1 Like
2 Likes

4 Likes

I shouldn’t laugh, really.

Releasing a bird back into the wild.

8 Likes

Ah, the beauty of nature!

6 Likes

Metaphor for so many things.

6 Likes

1 Like