Random Silly Grins

Many years ago, it was sold in bottles designed for just that.

6 Likes

I remember this from the early 1980s in London. Not sure if it still happens.

5 Likes

And delivered to right outside the front door every morning, too. Not possible in much of the States, especially during summer, but early mornings are cool on Britain, even in summer (usually).

5 Likes

Wasn’t milk delivery a thing in the US at one point?

5 Likes

Their chocolate milk is amazeballs.

Deposit is a dollar a bottle, refundable at the store you bought it from.

4 Likes

When I was very young we had milk delivery and we were pretty rural, too. I must have been 5 or 6 when we stopped getting delivered milk.

4 Likes

I dunno what you guys are talking about, I had milk delivered into my cereal bowl by my parents for way longer than that…

…what?

6 Likes

Seriously, why is it in bags?

2 Likes
4 Likes

So that you can pour it out of a pitcher rather than a huge gallon jug.

Also, according to that Wikipedia article, when we switched to metric, it was cheaper to adjust the bag size than the jug size, so manufacturers generally discontinued jugs at that point.

5 Likes

The pitcher is the important part. I know of at least one family that immigrated to Canada and didn’t find out about the pitchers at first, which led to all sorts of weird improvising with the bags.

11 Likes

Australia, 1970’s, same thing. Gold might’ve been skim.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Impressive

4 Likes

My beloved 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Minnie Schiffman told us about the sibling rivalry in her childhood home where she and her brother coveted bringing in the milk bottle in the morning. The separated cream at the top would partially freeze in the Detroit winter which became a sort of creamsicle for the lucky child to snap off and eat.

8 Likes

It’s even easier than pouring from a two-litre carton. Also there is much less packaging waste, and the bags are recyclable. Also you can jazz up your milk pitcher as desired, although few do.

One of these is the most compact way to keep four litres of milk in the fridge.

Explanation:

Instructions for Americans:

Incidentally, the bags are really tough plastic. They’re ideal for storing small hardware, for example a set of hinges and associated screws. Put the parts in the bag, roll the top down, and staple. I use one to pack spare batteries when traveling — any thing from D’s to AAA’s, just roll up and secure with a rubber band.

10 Likes

I saw that pitcher with the holes and wtf? Now I get it.

7 Likes

I would be one of those clueless Americans who don’t know there’s supposed to be a pitcher. I would jerry rig something using a system of rubber bands and potato chip bag clips, or possibly rubber reinforcement rings and a metal drinking straw like a Capri Sun pouch.

10 Likes

So glad I could help.

8 Likes

From For Better or for Worse

10 Likes