Random Silly Grins

Well this might help for getting started.

5 Likes

Still need a huge pile of negative mass.

Some straight lines write themselves.

6 Likes

I think it’s completely awesome and don’t agree with the article’s conclusions. The whole “purity” thing has been a messed-up idea from the start, and it’s only got weirder. I saw someone on Twitter the other day claiming he was superior *because" he had that little dash of Neanderthal DNA. As in, he was purer because he was more of a mix. Yeah.

Aeromexico found a great way to call people out on their shit. And it’s not like Dan Rather will object.

7 Likes

The idea that any advertisement is “politically neutral” is laughable.

If you can’t see the politics, it only means they mesh seamlessly with your own, or what you have accepted as “default”.

As for “purity”… Unless you are a mess of recessive traits, it’s unlikely your bloodline is pure anything (as the Neanderthal example points out, you may not even be pure human).

9 Likes

I can explain the Neanderthal DNA pride: it means the person is of European heritage. Africans and Asians have no Neanderthal in them, unless they also have a Euro-heritage ancestor.

edited to add: I should have said ANCIENT European white heritage. In other words, NOT a mixed heritage person (heaven forfend) the way someone from Italy or Spain might be. This is someone who can brag that they’re totally white for the past 40 generations, or whatever.

7 Likes

Asians will. Neanderthals were distributed in a range that covered most of the land based exits from Africa.
In fact, Han Chinese were among the first populations searched for neanderthal introgression due to the early availability of a genome from a Han Chinese person.

None of these assholes would know this, though, because they’re intellectually incurious and won’t seek out info.

12 Likes

At least it only has one review.

But, for about a dollar more, you can go with the inflatable cooked turkey that has 165 reviews… (and a FAQ answer where someone professes that theirs has “lasted several years”)

:smiling_imp:

7 Likes

I know what they’re proud about; just I also know enough European history to know it “proves” nothing.

The irony is Europe has over of the most mixed-up histories, heritage-wise, of anywhere. It’s not even its own continent, just the western end of Eurasia, and it’s a stone’s-throw away from Africa.

And it’s relatively easy to island-hop your way across the North Atlantic to Newfoundland in a small craft, if you know how to sail at all. People have been doing it for at least a thousand years.

I love the place to bits, but any talk of purity is hilariously ignorant.

12 Likes

Neither do Etruscans.

6 Likes

Bet it’s gotten a bit rubbery by now.

4 Likes

(yes, verified purchase. That’s going all the way for the joke.)

15 Likes
3 Likes
17 Likes

I guess if he had to go into a profession, better it’s ‘police officer’ than the obvious choice!

7 Likes

Bah. If everyone took that advice, we’d never know the butler, Didit.

5 Likes

Through some strange coincidence, I was just going to post this here:

5 Likes
9 Likes

as a resident of reno, i’m so puzzled why this ancient commercial is making the rounds again. but hey, it IS a great commercial.

5 Likes

I knew a cop in Knoxville named Toni Mullet. She was a bull-dyke and it was the 90s, guess what hairstyle she sported?

6 Likes

So, in this movie, Margaret O’Brien teaches yoga to Keenan Wynn; unfortunately, I couldn’t find a clip of that scene online. Still, considering the state of education today, this should bring a few random silly grins (I hope!):

Miss O’Brien is still living as I type this, and I think has all her faculties for an 82-y.o.