Random Silly Grins

I don’t even need to read the rest. It’s obvious that the secret is that President Daniel Carlson took said chief of staff* deep into his arms every night.

*actually an old nickname dating back to fraternity days, and not the president’s real chief of staff

8 Likes

Just because I have an earworm now, the rest of you need one too:

7 Likes

The sample is what’s relevant in the above post.
nobody recognizes it?

not only could you have a hit with only one or two members of the band who could actually play instruments, you could also have a hit with none of the members able to play instruments.

5 Likes

Still true today. Maybe even more so now that electronic music has taken off.

3 Likes

of course, i must add that, in he right hands, the sampler becomes an instrument.
DJ Shadow’s Endtroducing is the poster child for that type of thing, also The Bomb Squad who produced Public Enemy. but even in the realm of earlier hip hop DJ Premier and Eric Sermon and Dre were doing pretty advanced stuff. Sometimes, anyway.

10 Likes

I’d even argue that Beastie Boy’s Paul’s Boutique is a triumph of sampling. The sampler can be, unequivocally, an instrument. And, I’d argue, so can the turntable (witness, for example, nearly any of Kid Koala’s work).

10 Likes

No, I think David Cassidy could play guitar (not great, but acceptable), and of course he and his mother could sing.

6 Likes

right, that’s the made-for-tv band with two real musicians. the no-musician band was Nice & Smooth, upthread, who sampled them

I was trying to make it clear in the first sentence that I was replying to my own post but i admit the way i tried to make the point was convoluted.

3 Likes

I think you’re playing 3D chess and I’m playing checkers! I didn’t actually hear that video (I would have to go to YouTube to play it, and I didn’t realize how crucial hearing it would be to understand your point) so I was just responding to words on the page rather than video proof…sorry about that!

4 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Also, some doctors would much prefer that people be putting their arms around some things, rather than the alternative…

4 Likes
7 Likes

Hoping you’ll see what your love means to me…

2 Likes

I think Ebay’s advertising algorithm may be a little confused…

:notes: One of these things is not like the others… :musical_note:

11 Likes

Just one??

11 Likes

I mean, at least most of them are clothing. :wink:

Shirt, shirt, dress, outfit, predator, dress… wait, what?

11 Likes

Oh, that’s what that was? I was assuming some sort of Native American headdress. And I think I just insulted all Native Americans.

I’ve not seen any of those movies.

9 Likes

There was a tweet mentioned on NPR that went something like

Trump calls Rep. Pelosi “Nancy,” because the person responsible for coming up with his nasty nicknames was on furlough.

8 Likes

Watch the first one. Don’t need to bother with the others.

4 Likes