Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Players Handbook

Wards are independent entities and make their own choices. The tastes and preferences for other Citizen Pretenders are modeled based on their stated Likes and Dislikes.

4 Likes

At this point, I believe I’m caught up with answering any questions about game mechanics either here in the PH or via PM. If that is a mistaken assumption, please let me know and I will get everyone those answers posthaste.

2 Likes

And because this question has stirred my memories, I want to share a post that clarified a great deal of my thinking around striking the balance between player intention and game mechanics:

The retelling of a parent introducing their child to Dungeons and Dragons is marvelous in its own right, but to me the crux of it is here:

To my mind, the difference is that there are Rules. It’s not just freeform improvisation, unlike the stories Sabrina and I make up together (what happens when Wheatley from Portal II takes over Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory, does Captain Jack Sparrow know Ariel the mermaid, what sort of house would we live in if we had a gazillion pounds and why do Daddy’s houses always have disco floors). In D&D, you can choose to TRY to do something, but whether you succeed or fail isn’t wholly up to you. It’s the living flesh of imagination wrapped around the rigid skeletal structure of system, and that, my friends, is how the magic is made.

Offered as food for thought for all. yes i’m still processing turn 6 i promise

7 Likes

Similarly:

3 Likes

On the one hand, I certainly think that railroading is a bad thing, that the GM should make a reasonable effort to accommodate the players’ reasonable requests.

On the other hand, I think the world has to be coherent, and indulging the players too much could spoil that effect.

To use the Freeport example, if you, as GM, honestly think that it would make sense that there would be ornithopters, then sure, throw out the overland adventure and accommodate them. However, if Freeport has been established as being in the middle of sandstorm territory and no one sane would be flying ornithopters anywhere near there, then you can’t be afraid to tell your players “No” either.

Plans have to be flexible (and may even, sometimes, have to be thrown out entirely), but the world must make sense at the end of it all, or nothing within that world — characters, plot, themes, etc. — will make sense, either.

5 Likes

For turn 6 results, the nature of the replies to letters are ranked thusly:

• no response (abject failure)
  • curt reply (solid failure)
  • reply in kind (modest failure)
  • pleasant reply (modest success)
  • warm reply (solid success)
  • enthusiastic reply (resounding success)
5 Likes

@messana is there anyway to get rid of problematic synergies? Can I sell off som of my printing business to get rid of it?

4 Likes

Unfortunately not as yet - the problematic synergies appear to be systemic at this time. Actions are likely to become available to diminish or mitigate problematic synergies in due time.

3 Likes

I assume that as before, accommodation moves won’t take place until after the dinner?

Are citizen guests able to attend multiple dinners? Should we coordinate with our fellow players before inviting them via the public ledger, or is that sufficient?

3 Likes

Correct: accommodation changes will take place after the dinner. Citizen guests are able to attend multiple dinners. Inviting via the public ledger is sufficient. If for some reason one wishes to turn down an invitation that has been extended, that can be done via PM to me directly.

3 Likes

Is our cashflow in Turn 8 identical to turn 7? One must be able to budget lest one exceed one’s line of credit and be forced to alternative avenues for cash.

3 Likes

The same - in fact turns 7 and 8 are probably best viewed as two halves of the same turn with turn 7 being the results of turn 6 and turn 8 being the turn options.

2 Likes

How can one be an heir if one cannot inherit?

3 Likes

Excellent point that was entirely overlooked in my rush to use the phrase ‘Taking the Heirs’. :face_with_head_bandage:

In keeping with the spirit of the world of Jane Austen, verbiage has been updated to remove heir-specific wording. Children still have an even chance of being True Citizens or Citizen-Pretenders at birth, and only True Citizens may be considered heirs.

4 Likes

Can I please get a clarification here?

This is the second third time in as many days that I’ve seen the implication that when a CP weds a TC, the former is also granted the rank of TC themselves (the first and second were both posts in Leviathan’s, the second of which has since been deleted).

Can you please confirm whether this is indeed the case?

3 Likes

Citizen-Pretenders do not technically become True Citizens once pair bonded. Although they have avoided poverty and spinsterhood and have received a degree of social standing by successfully getting pair bonded, they still lack the legal rights granted to True Citizens. Although they may wear their newfound status and economic security with pride and distinction, the courts still consider them to be Citizen-Pretenders for all legal purposes.

The nuances of class structure on Weatherby are often easy to misinterpret, even for those that have been here a while.

(Tagging @pogo @Tom_Ratchetcrank @David_Falkayn @Eighth for clarification)

3 Likes

Do they get membership of Leviathan’s, or do they have to keep hanging out in the alley?

2 Likes

I don’t know about you but I go to Levithan’s to get away from them all.

Hrrrumph. I hate to have to find some other social club to frequent.

8 Likes

They’re certainly welcome to inquire if their partner is about, but membership at Leviathan’s is reserved for True Citizens. Members-only clubs do exist to cater to the needs of Citizen-Pretenders, and they should be expecting an invite in a short while.

5 Likes

Hear! Hear!

4 Likes