Site Bugs?

Clear your cache and it should correct that issue.

5 Likes

Ah, thank you!

3 Likes

It’s been about 10 days now, and this is what I’ve observed about the latest release:

• it’s slooooowww. Mostly I go here on my phone, and even on wifi it’s so slow I tend to avoid updated topics until they have a few replies in them. I’ve noticed I hit the reply button more than one now because it takes so long for the message window to appear, I think I mis-tapped. I don’t think this is a hardware thing. It seems to be client side if anything. At first I thought it was because our threads are so long, but brand new topics are the same.
  • the way the avatar icon with one’s notices appears and disappears is super-annoying.
  • the notices pane covers so much of the screen (and I have a big-screen phone) that it’s difficult to tap off and make it disappear.

I know others have mentioned a less than warm reception for user feedback in Discourse-land, but is there anywhere to report this stuff?

9 Likes

I’ve noticed the slowness too, on a recent PC (Win 10 & Safari). Didn’t used to be that way.

5 Likes

Wasn’t able to replicate on desktop (Firefox, Brave) or on mobile (Brave). I’m not sure where the problem lies: as far as I can tell, the mute script isn’t responsible for much lag as it fires only when a batch of messages in thread appear.

4 Likes

Thank you for checking it out! Those are interesting results. I’m using Chrome on my phone.

I use Firefox on my laptops, but I can’t remember if I’ve noticed any lag on them. I’ll have to pay attention.

Whatever it is, I agree the mute feature is not a likely cause. I don’t remember performance being any better during the brief period we were without it.

4 Likes

Of course, now things seem to be working fine.

We had a plumber in today for a singing/banging toilet that mysteriously started working fine too. He diagnosed silt in the water line that finally cleared. Maybe the problems are connected? :thinking:

5 Likes

I’ll try to take a look at it sometime this weekend and see if I can see anything on my end. I’ve noticed a bit of lag from time to time. I don’t think we’re getting more traffic, and our user count hasn’t increased significantly.

As far as feedback, please take a look at meta.discourse.org. There’s certainly no guarantee that the developers will agree with you, but it could still lead to something like the component that optionally restores the old ui for the Mobile.

@kxkvi, we are on DigitalOcean, so maybe there was some sort of salt build up?

5 Likes

Sand?

4 Likes

Are you using copper brackets on iron/steel parts? 'Cause that caused a lot of corrosion problems on loricis segmentatis.

4 Likes

Gotten slow again. Weird.

firefox, windows 10

2 Likes

Since the update, I’d noticed on my phone (Android) that when browsing from Chrome that any twitter links opened up in my default browser (DDG) and not the Twitter app. Browsing from Edge the twitter links opened in Twitter.

Until this morning.

Now all the twitter links open in Twitter as $diety intended.

Once again, the Three Ds of tech support come to the rescue.

(Those Ds being: Delay, Deflect, Deny)

2 Likes

OneBox issues?

There’s two links to two sites, neither of which OneBoxed.

4 Likes

Have you seen either of those sites OneBox before? Not every site works. Either the site provides a bit of metadata that allows discourse to OneBox, or there is an internal list in the code (if I remember correctly) that takes care of it. I think that’s how XKCD works now, for example.

4 Likes

Is there any way to keep the hearts from animating when liking posts?

7 Likes

Does anyone else notice that topics and the ability to comment load incredibly slowly?

As in a minute or more?

7 Likes

I’ve noticed a lot of latency lately, but not me personally right now.

5 Likes

Yes, ever since the recent Discourse upgrade. Not a minute’s worth, but annoyingly slow, maybe 5-10 s per topic, which, when looking at say 12-15 topics gets really old.

4 Likes

On mobile, yes.

Not so much on a desktop.

6 Likes

Delays on my desktop are smaller (subjectively) but still there.

4 Likes