Site Bugs?

I got a new phone last week. The delays compared to my old phone are much shorter, but definitely still there.

4 Likes

Why the fucking fuck do you have jitter animation to punch posters if our fucking titles aren’t long enough?

Sometimes the shorter title is better.

Sometimes not getting punched is better.

Sometimes not punching people is better.

fuck whoever the sadistic fuck programmed this fucking sadistic programming.

3 Likes

CSS animations need to be taken out back and recycled.

3 Likes

They could be worse.

At least in principle, it’s possible for users to use user css to block css animation, unlike Javascript animation and the rest.

We just need people to agree on stabdard names, instead of every site using its own names and some sites randomizing and periodically re-randomizing names to keep users from interfering with their marvellous display of pain.

3 Likes

This site has gotten very slow on my Win 10/Firefox computer. I got the Firefox “A website is slowing down your browser” (more or less) message that asked to either stop or wait.

7 Likes

Noticed this on my mobile as well. Onwifi and Cellular

5 Likes

I’ll run performance tests later this week, not sure if it’s an issue with archeteciture, server, or how dynamic content tracts with styling.

5 Likes

I’m planning an upgrade to the latest version tonight. I haven’t taken time to look into the performance issues other than that they seem to be inconsistent, even for me. It might be worth noting whether or not you are seeing slower performance on threads with a large number of replies vs. smaller threads.

4 Likes

I found this, which may help somewhat generally:

Unfortunately, it didn’t seem to have any effect on the like animation, so I’m not sure if it’s just not being blocked by that add-on, or if it is somehow animating in a different way. I spent some time the other day trying to debug that animation, and I couldn’t find anything that accounted for the pulse/resize effect that it displays, but I’m not all that familiar with CSS animations.

4 Likes

Thank you, that sounds ideal.

3 Likes

We’re now on v2.3.0.beta8 +169. Let me know if the slowdowns are still persisting. The host is also due for a reboot, but I wanted to minimize downtime so I will probably do that tomorrow night.

4 Likes

It isn’t working anywhere for me.

2 Likes

Well that’s a disappointment.

I’ll look into whether there’s something I can do on my end as I get a chance.

2 Likes

I’ve reported the issue on the github, with a sample page.

2 Likes

Things have definitely speeded back up, both on my iPad and PC. Thanks!

4 Likes

Help!

I am new here. I’m sorry if there is a FAQ I haven’t seen.

Is there a way to mark a subject as “already read” so I only see new messages in the future? There is so much here that I could never read through it all. Or is there a way to sort to newest at the top? It looks like the subject list does that automatically but I can’t figure out how to do it for the messages in any one subject heading.

If I use the Summarize This Topic button does it just show me the messages that have the most hearts?

Is there a way to locate a specific topic? I was looking for site help but when I search it shows me everything that has site or help in it.

Is there a purpose to the “badges” I keep getting?

9 Likes

Hi, and welcome to the, uh, Elsewhere Cafe!~

My recommended reading view is Latest View, accessible via this link (or via the “latest” button on the homepage). https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/latest

Summarize is a feature from the software we use. It shows the most replied, most linked to, and most hearted - in a mostly chronological order.

To locate specific threads or whatnot, use the Search tool!
https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/search

As far as badges, yes and no. Most of the badges won’t change the amount of content you can see. Certain badges (gained via consistent behaviour, automatically assigned) will grant you access to more content.

There are quite a bit of interesting threads out there, depending on the type of content you’re looking for. I recommend checking out our blog category.
https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/c/blog

obligatory self-plug

7 Likes

Since you’ve moved up to the “rank” of a Basic user, you can send a PM to the lovely @discobot to start a New User Tutorial.

If you click (or tap if you’re using mobile) your avatar on the upper right, you’ll see an icon that looks like an envelope-- that’s the Private Message icon. Send the following message to @discobot:

@discobot start new user

and it will walk you through tips and tricks of Discourse and Markdown. It’s fun, too!

Edited to add: when you’re done with the first tutorial, @discobot start advanced user will begin part 2. I thought it was mentioned at the end of part 1, but I don’t think it is.

6 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

7 Likes

@discobot fortune

5 Likes