Site Bugs?

That explains why I wasn’t seeing it. It only shows on mobile. I’m not sure why that preference would be cleared, but since it’s attached to a theme component, maybe that could go some way towards explaining it. That it works differently on BB than here is curious, though.
:person_shrugging:
Maybe if I have some time later, I can look into how the component works to see if I can troubleshoot it further.

2 Likes

I’m used to being able to zip my mouse to the upper left of any Elsewhere page to click on the coffee cup, to get back to the home page. Now there are three lines instead. Maybe I could get used to it, but changing my behavior to suit a program on such a minor thing seems backwards.

So every day, when I first open Elsewhere, I us uBlock Origin’s lighting-bolt /screen-element-zapper to remove it.

Is there anyway to turn it off permanently? Or are we stuck with it? Seems to me it should be over on the right somewhere.

3 Likes

It’s a new feature:

Yours is the second bit of negative feedback I’ve received on it, and I honestly haven’t found a solid use case for it yet. As far as I can tell, I can’t easily change it’s location, so maybe it’s best to disable it for now? If anyone was particularly enamored with it, they can make a case for re-enabling it.

I ended up switching it to “header dropdown” mode. Maybe that’s a reasonable compromise?

2 Likes

I closed the tab (Firefox). Now the three lines are over on the right. ??

3 Likes

I’m seeing that also, and I like it!!

4 Likes

Yes, that seems to be the primary difference. It also only appears when you click on it, instead of taking up space on the side by default. The intent is to be able to customize it with tags and categories you are interested in so that you have a quick way to get to them.

I can make changes to the defaults, if anyone has any suggestions.

3 Likes

I like that it has a list of keyboard shortcuts there (the keyboard icon in the bottom right of the dropdown). I didn’t even know some of those functions existed.

One of them being, just typing ‘gh’ when not in the editor will go to the home page.

2 Likes

That’s the one I’ve used the most over the years.

You can also get the keyboard shortcuts by pressing the question mark (?) key when not in the editor.

2 Likes

I should probably go hunt down where to complain/make a bug report for this, but one recent change I’m not very fond of: getting the list of “All notifications” first if I click on my user icon. The only notifications it shows me are notifications about earning badges - apparently things like getting a message or thread replied to isn’t good enough for “all notifications”, but getting a badge on your anniversary is. Every notification about the same badge has identical text, no context (not even how long ago it was), and they all just link back to page for the badge that was earned.

Maybe there’s the occasional rare case of actually useful notifications that can make it into that list?

[Edit] Ok, I just noticed the “Dismiss” button on that list, and when I hit that… all those badge notifications went away, and other actually useful ones started showing. Which doesn’t exactly seem intuitive, but I guess this was mostly a user error.

4 Likes

It’s also worth mentioning that you can filter the notifications by type:

Top to bottom:

• All
  • Replies