Site Bugs?

I’m an unapologetic badge collector.

I know I’ve used more than 50 likes in one day. I’m pretty sure some others have, as well. However, the only person with the “Out of Love” badge is @LockeCJ.

Do I actually need to use all of my daily likes to earn the badge? Because, with the Like limit as high as it is, that’d be kind of ridiculous.

8 Likes

I’m guessing that’s the case. It looks like I can modify the descriptions, but not the criteria for granting badges automatically.

In consideration of your efforts, I have granted you a highly coveted badge instead.

9 Likes

Huzzah! I shall treasure this almost as much as my Pedant Pendant in The Other Place.

10 Likes

Image posts can cause a reply window below the image post to jump up and down, at least in Firefox 58 and 59.

May be related to some of these Firefox bugs:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1436181

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1305744

It’s most likely to jump if the top of the reply window is near the separator after the image post. It can sometimes keep jumping indefinitely.

1 Like

FYI

My watched tags suddenly cleared itself again. Sometime between Saturday and Tuesday.

2 Likes

Anyone else noticed this? Sometime in the last month, I stopped being able to zoom in on images in threads. I used to use that on my (Android, Chrome-browsing) phone to read comic strips more easily.

It’s not really a showstopper; I was just wondering if it was on purpose or not.

2 Likes

This seems to happen to me every time Discourse updates. I recall it happening with the badass tag during the Highlander game, and just a few days ago with space_abbey.

2 Likes

The last upgrade I managed to make it through I thought, but that is a likely culprit.

3 Likes

Correction: Any posts can make the reply window jump up and down under the wrong circumstances. That suggests a bug in this site, rather than just in Firefox.

1 Like

On the About page, the “Contact Us” link at the bottom is a 404.

3 Likes

I’ve removed that link for now. The e-mail address is the best option for a quick response.

5 Likes

This bug sometimes crops up here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1459340

Not all the time, but when it does, it makes the site unreadable. Zooming HURTS.

1 Like

Interesting. That seems almost like the Ctrl key is being held down, as Ctrl + Scroll zooms in the browser. Does OSX have an equivalent to StickyKeys, and are you using that?

If it happens, try tapping the Ctrl key to see if the behavior changes, and Ctrl + 0 should return the zoom level back to 100%.

2 Likes

That’s a Firefox issue from the sounds of it, or maybe a Scroll+ issue.

Also: zooming on a computer screen is essential to farsighted and otherwise seeing-impaired people, so stating flat-out it hurts in shouty-caps is neither helpful not particularly considerate of other people’s special needs. It hurts people who are sensitive to the effects of unexpected zooming, yes. Universal access is, fortunately, not a zero-sum game.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that be the Command () key on a Mac?

4 Likes

Yes, I have sticky keys. Yes, I have to use sticky keys to use the computer. But what would turn on the control key or the command key on the keyboard when I’m using the mouse which is not the keyboard?

2 Likes

If you need a certain zoom setting, like I need a certain font size setting, you need that setting. I don’t think you need sudden, unpredictable, animated changes to that setting, so 150% zoom becomes 30% zoom. I don’t think that serves anyone’s accessibility needs.

2 Likes

It looks like it’s possible to disable zooming entirely in FireFox by setting both zoom.maxPercent and zoom.MinPercent to 100 in about:config. That might result in the page not scrolling, but also not zooming if there is indeed something causing the Ctrl/Command key to engage. This assumes that you never want to zoom, of course, or at least want to do so infrequently enough that you’re willing to change a setting to enable/disable it.

Agreed, which is why I mentioned that situation as an exception in my post.

For the record, neither control nor command nor any other modifier keys were engaged.