Site Bugs?

Peculiar – my iPad on wifi works fine, but my PC (ethernet) gets the bug.

Best wishes for you and your dad.

2 Likes

Thank you! Dad finally got admitted to a room on 5th floor, and so far all the “blocked” sites work again (on my phone.) Maybe the Emergency Department WiFi has different protocols or filters baked in, though I never noticed any difference before. ~Insert shrug emoji here.~ As long as Dad’s okay (I’ll explain more tomorrow, I’m tired AF now) I don’t really care about the web. It’s just a troubleshooting distraction so I don’t worry myself to pieces. And so far, so good.

Edited to add: spoke too soon. Kindle browser’s still bitchy, even after reboot and clearing cache (but not cookies, yet.) I’ll try again tomorrow and report back.

4 Likes

Is spoiler tag not spoiling for others?

3 Likes

I think it needs the spoiler closing tag on a separate line if it’s a multiline spoiler with blank lines.

This works even though it’s multiline and the /spoiler
is in line with text, (because there are no blank lines?)

[spoiler]
This doesn’t work because there’s an empty line involved:

Nope, doesn’t work.[/spoiler]

This does work even with an empty line involved:

Yeah, that works.

4 Likes

that did it. TIL

Odd the automatic spoiler gadget did it that way.

4 Likes

I’m I missing something, or did mute never make it to the retro mobile skin? Really like retro, really miss mute.

I know you cats are busy and put a lot into this, so if it’s a site thing I can surely wait, but if it’s PEBCAK somebody give me a clue, right?

5 Likes

Mute made it. May need tweaking, imsge cache does funky things to it.

Edit: will hax fix up in 45min

Edit2:
Fix up.

4 Likes

Cool. Entering a thread it’s there, if I scroll down a thread it disappears, reloading the page brings it back. In some threads a previously muted personae is all ready muted, others a refresh takes care of it.

2 Likes

Hm, yeah, noticing that now. Maybe I should have it fire when window is ready rather than the existing method? I’ll test for a solution.

EDIT
I’d completely forgotten to include the CSS part of the code in the Retro theme. Fixed.

4 Likes

Yay! Didn’t want to be a pest but it’d been long enough I thought I’d ask. Thank you!

3 Likes

Final commentary on my Kindle issue: apparently pressing and holding the power button for 40 seconds clears memory, and doing that eliminated the issue of certain sites (including this one :scream: ) refusing to load on its Silk browser. I never did figure out what caused the problem in the first place. But since my Dad’s Kindle was able to see the Cafe and mine couldn’t, it had to be some sort of device-specific gremlin. ~shrug~

6 Likes

@LockeCJ
No options for authentication.
(Firefox, Windows 10)

1 Like

@CleverEmi, @Nightflyer, and I have mentioned getting this message when navigating back to this site after going somewhere else:

It appears to be a bug associated with the Firefox PrivacyBadger plugin. I’ve tested it with and without the plugin, and sure enough, that’s where the problem is.

Supposedly PrivacyBadger’s been notified, but who knows whether it will get fixed. And it doesn’t explain why neither TOS or Discourse have the problem. Maybe it’s due to my not being signed in at either place?

5 Likes

I don’t use Privacy Badger, though perhaps there’s a similar code in the adblocker I use on my phone. (My Kindle doesn’t have one yet, since I don’t do a lot of websurfing on it.) I suspect it might have been some hiccup in the WiFi network I was using at the time, combined with caching issues, since it went away after a while (and after caches were cleared on both phone and Kindle.) I wish I could contribute more to the troubleshooting than that, but that’s all I’ve got.

2 Likes

This is what I see in a new private window in Firefox on Windows 10:

2 Likes

I’ve had it while signed in at TOS. And I use privacy badger.

2 Likes

I just signed back in at TOS, but didn’t get the message. I is confuse.

3 Likes

So confuse. :thinking: it feels intermittent

3 Likes

For some data points…

At work I get a proxy warning (are you sure you want to go to this potentially dangerous site) which is entirely expected due to the algorithms used by our edge protection.

But once I click through, I’m good for a while unless I log off and have to log in again. Here the SSL interception (at work) breaks the Google authentication and it takes me two or three attempts to actually get logged back in again.

My two bits of observation.

4 Likes

This morning, after a fresh boot, I visited this site, and received “Cannot load app”.

Privacy badger was set to its most restrictive for the site. Changing that allowed me access immediately.

7 Likes