Site Bugs?

Just got a “no more than three consecutive replies allowed” message when trying to post to Wanderthread.

4 Likes

Bumped to 1337. This is a “helpful” feature intended for large general interest boards, no idea at what point is was introduced.

5 Likes

I just upgraded to the latest version last night. That’s probably the culprit.

5 Likes

Now I can go from this site to another, and use the back button to return! The problem of not being able to do this has disappeared. (The error message may have changed over the months, but I haven’t kept track.)

Maybe they fixed it in that upgrade.

6 Likes

“Body seems unclear. Is it a complete sentence?”

Yes. Fuck off, bot, and stop punching me with your fucking flashing punches to my weak meatbag brain.

4 Likes

Is that an error message that’s triggered by something?

6 Likes

GENERALLY TRIGGERED BY ALL-CAPS COMMENT.

4 Likes

In my case, by asking R1?

3 Likes

That’s my guess.

2 Likes

Somewhat OT, but a design change to Discourse in the latest beta is driving me up the fucking wall. It’s such a relief to come here and see things back to how I expect them.

More here:

(Unsurprising response from Jeff is unsurprising.)

I don’t know about you all but I can’t say I’ve ever been all like, “Discourse is great but I simply can’t keep track of what thread I’m reading!”

7 Likes

I occasionally forget the thread I’m in. No biggie. If I really care I’ll click on the post count thingy at the bottom and there it is.

I’d have to use it, but initial thoughts are with you and that it would be a detraction.

4 Likes

I’ll hold off on updating to beta5 at least until after the side panel change is in place. Hopefully that will make the overall experience better.

Keep me posted on this. I can hold the update for a while, but not indefinitely.

4 Likes

Don’t hold off on my account - do whatever makes sense for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My God the fucking “usersplaining” from these people on the Discourse board is making me want to rip out what little hair I have left.

So far I’ve been accused of knee-jerk complaining about cheese moving, to needing to reduce distractions in my life (therefore my opinion is invalid), to “holding it wrong” and everything in between.

This kind of arrogance is exactly why I don’t get involved in more OSS communities.

Sorry, I just needed to vent a little bit.

15 Likes

So the opposite of user-focused design, then. No surprise there.

12 Likes

Let it out. I sympathize with you greatly. It is also a reason I don’t participate in a lot of group projects on the web.

12 Likes

Well, Jeff finally told me if I don’t like it I should stop using Discourse so I guess I’ve reached peak UX.

14 Likes

That’s the heart of bad user interface development right here. Developers can anticipate needless changes will frustrate other people, and somehow the prevailing wisdom became that this means they shouldn’t listen to them.

Am I out of touch?

15 Likes

That doesn’t sound like peak UX, but it’s definitely peak Jeff.

10 Likes

Working with OSS and having to be involved in the community, I totally understand that. It’s so draining.

And when you point out that throwing baboons at a keyboard could’ve produced better code they just go all nerd-rage and start throwing baboons at you. :wink:

9 Likes