So Trump did not die in his sleep last night? Crap

Two Puerto Ricans attempted to assassinate President Truman.

What a fucking difference 67 years makes, eh?

4 Likes

Steve Bannon tried to show him how to suck himself off?

3 Likes

Perhaps the only thing on which we can rely on in these uncertain times is that someone somewhere has already written that slash fic.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Damn - it just happened again.

12 Likes

I think it’s like Winston Churchill said

I wish Stanley Baldwin (former Conservative PM) no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived.

The same applies to Trump

9 Likes

Churchill could be pretty unsavoury himself. What saved him seems to have been (I’ve been reading Jenkins’ biography) that Churchill surrounded himself with sensible people and was not thin skinned. Had he not had Alan Brook as CIGS, WW2 could have been a fiasco. And a number of his remarks would be quite unacceptable nowadays.
Boris Johnson seems to fancy himself as a second Churchill, but that’s because he overestimates his intelligence (he is reported as having been resentful that Oxford didn’t give him a First) and forgets that he has no experience at all in a serious role of State.

6 Likes

Should have gotten rid of Bomber Harris, though. @#$% war criminal.

2 Likes

Totally agree.
We had a teacher at school who had flown Mosquitoes. He told us that the RAF Statistical Department had determined that area bombing was ineffective while targeted precision raids on oil and chemical plants by Mosquitoes (and the US equivalents) was devastatingly effective, to the extent that per £ spent, Mosquitoes were 5.8 times as effective as Lancaster bombers. I’ve subsequently been able to verify this. Britain bankrupted itself in the War making Lancasters. So Harris was not only responsible for many German civilian deaths; he was responsible for unnecessary Allied ship sinkings, unnecessary flight crew deaths, and economic damage to the UK. And he gets a memorial which rightly should go to the designers of the Mosquito (who had to overcome Government indifference).
But this is an unfortunate analogy for Trump, because like another overwrought figure - Patton - Harris was good at getting favourable publicity.
Only once have I ever referenced Harris favourably; I was bitten by bedbugs in an hotel in Regensburg, and when I complained the manager told me my room was no longer available due to a “conference”. I told him that it was a pity that Harris had bombed Dresden and missed his hotel.

10 Likes

Can’t you just post a picture of yourself to Facebook, in a pickup with a gun rack and flying a Confederate flag? That’ll get you off it.

4 Likes

I think some of the long-range aircraft would have been more useful patrolling for U-boats than “dehousing” German civilians. (and in practice “deliving” both German civilians and British crews.)

7 Likes

He’s been Foreign Secretary for over a year now. No, you’re right, he still has no experience.

God, can’t we just be done with him? There’s got to be someone more competent.

2 Likes

That would seem to be the received wisdom. The Lancasters wouldn’t really be suitable, but a larger Mosquito could have had long range.
Harris was simply a complete disaster and Churchill’s failure to deal with him has to be seen as one of his massive errors of judgement, far worse than Gallipoli or Dieppe.

3 Likes

Just drop him off at the farthest green from the clubhouse. The walk back… he’d never make it.

5 Likes

Exactly. He’s an overpromoted ligfhtweight journalist, and the only thing you can say in favour of the idiots who promoted him is that at least they didn’t over-promote an actor in a scripted reality show.

But then the Prime Minister is a geography graduate who thinks Venezuela is a planet, as noted on HIGNFY yesterday.

4 Likes

In that party? With its current leadership? Debatable. That’s the party that gave you Brexit courtesy of an incredibly stupid political blunder.

3 Likes

I think this could be posted here too.

https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/t/our-so-called-president/499/859?u=ravery

4 Likes

They had the Sunderlands (which my father flew in).

5 Likes

One of my favourite unrealistic fantasies is to live on an old flying boat.

Just cruise around the world at whim, maybe carrying a couple of passengers every now and then. Explore the South Pacific, go to super-underground dance parties on isolated oil rigs, land in the middle of the Timor Sea for a spot of fishing etc. etc.

8 Likes

And you would be Jake Cutter!

6 Likes