Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I did’nt mean to upset you with my comment, that I posted. I will post less comments in the future.

11 Likes

You’re going to post fewer comments? And just when you’ve peaked my interest!

8 Likes

I love crab.

Found out it causes a week of gastric distress. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Are you waiting with baited breath?

8 Likes

Literally!

7 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Regional Dialects, ah mean, ah mean, Diahlex

9 posts were split to a new topic: Regional Dialects, ah mean, ah mean, Diahlex

6 Likes

So I found myself needing to mail a package. I had one of those flat-rate boxes at the house from USPS and figured, “Hey. I’ll just go to USPS and buy the postage, print it out and just drop it off.”

Get to the website, and I need to create an account or log in.

I didn’t remember ever having an account, so I’ll set one up.

Username. email. password. address. Create…

Hey! You already have an account

Okay, click on “Forgot Username” … and they can’t send you your username, it just makes you create another account.

Tried a few Usernames that it might have been, but no ggod.

Create a new account and when I get to email I do the old “Add a plus and a descriptor”, so Email+USPS@domain.com and I’m good.

Okay. We have an account now. We go to buy the postage and it errors out with EMAIL now flagged in red. So I remove the +USPS and it goes through.

Meh.

10 Likes

Never talk to sea lions

sea lions

10 Likes

“Ooh, why not spend a few minutes browsing the Wondermark site?” I thought to myself, and look! The most recent comic is about a related topic!

15 Likes

I finally get approval for more headcount.

The position is similar to my other reports, but I am looking for some specific skill sets I do not currently have

So I write up my req. I put all the bits that are important that they have and the parts that are Nice to have. And then expect them to put on the usual boilerplate bullshit.

I finally (40+ days after submitting the req) get an email asking me to approve the position.

I think they just randomly tossed skill requirements together. They have a couple of my Nice to haves, completely missing a required skill and added some stuff I don’t care about it.

So now on top of all the other stuff Monday has presented me with, I get to ride into battle against HR.

Joy.

14 Likes

Our previous HR didn’t put the actual job requirements in the job advert but just the generic role description. When I questioned them on this (because we were going through yet another reorganization and I was applying internally) they said “we don’t put the job description in because then too many people would match against it”.

we outsourced recruiting shortly after, which was surprising as we’re usually very bad at spotting that level of incompetence.

8 Likes

I know someone who was contacted by the hiring manager to apply for a position. He did, but his resume never crossed the manager’s desk. Next time they meet, the manager asked why he hasn’t applied, and my friend explained he had.

The manager told him to write at the top of his resume, “I have experience in [list of specific skills using jargon the manager provided]”. It was in the resume already, but not in a way HR could understand. So he did, and then the wheels of bureaucracy flowed a bit more smoothly and he moved onto the interview process and getting hired.

On the one hand, I feel bad for HR. On the other hand, if you’re going to work in such-and-such an industry, why wouldn’t you want to learn about that industry? I’m in banking IT, and most of our HR people come from banks or insurance companies. It just makes sense.

10 Likes

I work for a mid-sized UK bank, our HR is just shut shit.

Edit: a word

7 Likes

Flashing lights, for “safety,” where they can be dangerous.

Gifs.

Incapacitating pain, for “safety,” where it can be dangerous.

Flashing signs, saying “OPEN.”

2 Likes

There are several train crossings near me with Flashing Lights on the signs for “Caution: Train Crossing” that continually flash.

So I always approach them going…okay are those the “Train Coming, Crossing arms will drop momentarily” or just the damn “Hey, we got train tracks here” signs…and almost get rear ended

5 Likes

Just now walking through a goddamn parking lot with my phone in my hand and this guy driving in his car tells me to “wake up.”

1. Dude. It’s a fucking parking lot. Pedestrians are allowed.

2. I was moving at a decent pace.

3. I made fucking eye contact with you, before you even opened your goddamn mouth, so do not tell me that I am not paying attention.

Fuck off, entitled middle-aged white dudes is what I am saying.

19 Likes

Yeah, but you didn’t defer to him. I mean, obviously. /eyeroll

11 Likes

I got honked at last week by some kid. I was in a crosswalk. She had a stop sign. Like … If I wasn’t there, she’d have to stop. If I were ten people, she’d have to stop. If there was a different car coming, she’d have to stop. My presence did not, at all, change anything for her. The fuck is her problem?

13 Likes