Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Database applications are the fucking worst. Don’t give the users (the people who actually need to use the thing) what they need, which is to peruse and modify the data, run it over RDS so that whatever functions you give them function in the shittiest way possible, make it a third-party app so we have to fight for licenses and with our bosses who are invested in the shitty software company…

Software sucks in late capitalism and it gets worse every year. Our only entertainment is to play bro-coder-bingo.

8 Likes

80% CRUD and 20% reporting (although that 20% may be 80% of the work and value), that’s no different than 30 years ago. But we have to keep adding more layers, making it more complex, and using new technology to do the same old things.

5 Likes

…And never fixing shit.

5 Likes

Then when there is an update that ‘fixes’ things, it makes things much worse. Example from last week:

(I’m glad I don’t work with node/npm. :slightly_smiling_face: Although we have our own ‘updates will break everything’ debacle, it’s nowhere near that bad.)

5 Likes

This is what caused me to jump ship in 2001 then coast to 2006. I think openSUSE is gud. I hope.

6 Likes

Something the opposite of grinding my gears, but not quite triumphant enough to merit a post in Victory! :

During my lunch break I had to run a few quick errands; on my way back to the office I saw a young man who must work for some catering company or another, because he had one of those rolling food service carts. And he was giving away leftovers to the homeless, which is a sign of pure awesomeness in my book.

I decided to give him some positive reaffirmation for doing something good; I attempted to give him ‘dap…’ only to find out that he didn’t really know how.

So I grabbed his hand and showed him the simplest one; down, up, fist bump. (Don’t ‘blow it up,’ though; that’s just extra.)

The irony of having to show a 20-something (who slightly looked like Dave Franco) how to give a proper ‘pound’ is not lost on me.

15 Likes

It’s 11:45. I want to sleep. I am tired. I am in a lot of pain. But the southeastward neighbor has decided I get EVEN MORE PAIN instead of sleep.

P.S. It’s 12:09. STILL MORE PAIN.

6 Likes

Turns out I’m mildly anemic. I’m a little upset at myself for not noticing prior to now, but it’s been a hellishly busy couple of weeks. I thought I was just tired and hormonal, but I couldn’t focus or motivate myself. That’s not usual, which made me suspicious something else was up. Hoping I’ll feel a bit better with these prescription iron pills.

14 Likes

Eat well before taking them.

10 Likes

I was wondering about that, because I had to take iron once before, and it was supposed to be with food. But this one says an empty stomach, which is really hard since I eat all the time now. So I took it first thing in the morning, after the guy who wants to mow the lawn woke us up at 5:30. We’ll see what happens.

8 Likes

The lawn guy woke you up at 5:30? Sounds more like he wants to meth the lawn.

6 Likes

Well … yes. I might just go to a pawn shop and grab a lawnmower. Normally, people come by offering in the afternoon. I don’t want to have this occur again.

5 Likes

If the building were on fire, it’s bad enough for smoke alarms to trap people in the building, with incapacitaingly loud noise, strobing, and/or beeping, but it’s worse for the alarm to mock people too, for being trapped by the alarm.

2 Likes

I take a daily iron supplement, and I usually take it without food. I’ve haven’t had a particular problem with it. It’s a slow release tablet, though and it’s also OTC, not a prescription. Honestly, I’m not even sure what mine says regarding food.

5 Likes

Huge storm came through up here. High winds and all that.
Lost power at 1:30 pm Friday.
They’re predicting I’ll have power back midnight Tuesday.

So that sucks.

14 Likes

I kinda think it blows. I hope you see the humour in that.
If you’re anywhere near San Diego, you’re welcome to hop down to TJ if you have a sleeping bag. Plus, my water heater uses LP gas instead of electricity. Weather’s been a bit weird here, too, but I’ll always have hot water.
Bonus: Cats!

11 Likes

That’s super sweet- thank you.

Sadly I live outside Boston. So. Yeah.

4 Likes

Senator Tim Kaine and Senator Mark Warner require more information before your messages can be delivered.
Phone

They don’t even pretend to try to represent the rest of us…

6 Likes

I finally gave up and gave McTurtle’s contact web page a totally fake persona to tell him he’s an asshole. It wouldn’t accept anything from any other state than Kentucky – even though he’s Senate majority leader and thus much more responsible (supposedly) to everyone in the U.S.

I suppose you can pay for a direct phone number. But it probably costs a whole lot.

3 Likes

The point is, they won’t accept email from those of us who can’t use phones.

On another grinder:

Stabby stabby pain!

Like someone’s driving a knife into each ear!!!

4 Likes