Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Long days, and pleasant nights.

4 Likes

you admirably sum up how i feel much of the time. except for me, ā€œfrom hereā€ is north central texas.

be well, let us all be well.

12 Likes

Ave atque vale. Iā€™ll miss your non-North American perspective. Maybe our paths will cross again.

6 Likes

Pixie4

7 Likes

Thatā€™s nice!

/snickers

7 Likes

It was a wonderful Saturdayā€¦until I realized it was Sunday.

14 Likes

Moving along from the Rock Star threadā€¦ ā€œshopping as a pass timeā€ has always annoyed the crap out of me. Especially when there are guilt trips added in, like ā€œbut if we donā€™t buy regularly from these speciality shops theyā€™ll go out of businessā€ or ā€œweā€™ll just hang out; itā€™ll be fun.ā€

Just blech.

13 Likes

Christ. We have enough beading\jewelry stuff we could OPEN a specialty shop.

Iā€™m hopeful it is finally up on the ā€œto be gotten rid ofā€ list as it hasnā€™t been touched in months.

But, yes, the number of board games I have from, ā€œIf you donā€™t buy from your FLGS, theyā€™ll go out of businessā€ is depressing. Especially the ones that have had the plastic wrap removed, but none of the pieces popped out. I need friends who are willing to try new games.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve got that too, but since it all fits in 4-5 storage boxes Iā€™m not worrying about it yet.

I finished at 6 bags in the garbage today. I estimate thatā€™s about halfway done. Basically, if itā€™s not permanently mothproofed, nor dishcloth cotton, nor with a specific project in mind, itā€™s going.

I do like Marie Kondoā€™s book and its dictum that everything you own should ā€œspark joyā€ (does toilet paper spark joy? It sure as hell does if youā€™ve ever run out, and I have). This yarn was sparking guilt, anger, and sadness. My grandmother always insisted yarn should be neither thrown out nor given away, but I think she was also a lot better at planning her projects, and Iā€™m pretty sure she turned down yarn if she knew she wouldnā€™t use it.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s cute. I long for the days of 4 or 5 storage boxes. Iā€™d be giddy at the prospect of 4 or 5 large storage boxes.

Three of these and thatā€™s just the beads. Not the Findings.

But I am venting. Itā€™s not like I did not have a hand in buying some of it. (But Iā€™ve had the majority hand in moving itā€¦grumble, grumble, grumble)

5 Likes

I feel for you. Thatā€™s where Iā€™m at (even after dumping the 6 garbage bags today, still at) with the yarn. Most of the yarn was in open baskets, which seemed like a nice idea to the person who bought me the baskets, but the truth is that just makes for dusty yarn and no chance of stacking vertically.

7 Likes

WAIT, WAIT!
What about donating it to classrooms that do art projects? Special needs? Retirement homes?
Just a thoughtā€¦

ETA: Underfunded hospital childrenā€™s wardsā€¦

1 Like

Dusty, moth-eaten yarn being given to any of those places would be no act of generosity.

When I say ā€œdustyā€, I donā€™t mean it needs a few quick pats to get some excess fluff off. I mean itā€™s hard to tell what colour it really is, and that it feels somewhat sandy from the moth poop.

ETA: people saying ā€œgive it to charity!ā€ was one of the reasons I put this off so long. At first I was going to inspect each ball and make something out of it, verifying there was no moth damage at the same time.

About 18 months ago I crocheted a queen sized bedspread out of stash yarn and gave it to charity. Queen sized makes it sound like it was a lot of yarn, right? On the one hand it was, but on the other it barely made a dent ā€“ only about 2-3 kilos.

7 Likes

Ah, well. Thatā€™s too bad. :(:confused:

4 Likes

For context:

Tl,drā€¦my phone I work from melted down and Iā€™m trying to figure out a financial solution to building a computer workstation for my home studio.

My proposed solution:
From the outset, Iā€™m not looking for handouts. If you just want to give, fineā€¦I wonā€™t look a gift horse in the mouth.
I have an idea of making jpg images of sketch portraits for people, I guess $20 US per pop, of which I could easily do two a day. Easily made, easily sent, and I keep both digital files of scans and a hard file of the actual drawings. In case of loss or damage, I could easily resend.

DONā€™T SEND MONEY YET!
I want to gauge interest prior to commitment and get some feedback.

To earn enough to buy the equipment I feel is necessary, I (at $20 plus PayPal/venmo fee) would need to have at least 150 orders to make 3k to spend on computer and art studio. I think it would be enough to meet my needs. Larger monitor for use in painting, as well as potential online lessons or critique, as well as a computer with graphics power if I decide to do anything like try my hand at digital painting, aaaand also play my favorite mmorpg on my own time. :wink:

I think I should gather names or handles to see if I could even gain a minimum of 150 commitments before following through. There is a time crunch, so Iā€™m scrambling for those first 150 commitments as quickly as possible.

What say you all? Does this seem reasonable? Is the price fair? Do people even want sketch portraits from me? Can I even get 150 people? PM me if you want to add your name(s) to the list.
Should we split this off for any feedback? I donā€™t know how.

ETA: I ran into my neighbour today, who invited me over to meet her family from San Diego. A question came up, would I also still paint paintings?
Yes, I certainly would. Anything to meet my goal. The jpg option is there for people who donā€™t have a lot to spend, or donā€™t want to pay high international postage. They can take the image to a local printer.

3 Likes

Is Kickstarter or Patreon a possibility? That way people could contribute according to their ability.

5 Likes

I figure Patreon could work, too. I also have Google Wallet and PayPal. I just donā€™t want people to waste their time on Kickstarter if the minimum isnā€™t met.

Best case scenario, Iā€™m hoping I can get support by March 1st. As it stands, Iā€™m working with the worst loaner phone ever, and donā€™t have the setup to impress on Kickstarter. I only have my work on Instagram to show.
Personally, Iā€™d feel better if people didnā€™t have to fork anything over unless I was confident I had enough support from others, too.

3 Likes

Having to fully reset my wifi settings on my lappy when Iā€™m forced to update my password every 120 days or whatever it isā€¦

10 Likes

I see. Iā€™m not familiar with how these things work!

2 Likes

After having to shut off power a few times.over the weekend, I discovered my Wireless Router was NOT on the UPS and did not like having power toggled on/off several times and needed to be reset.

Thatā€™s annoying. What really grinds my gears is resetting every damn devices access.

9 Likes