Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Oh, joy.

3 Likes

Smashed my finger in a metal gate trying to get it open with one hand so I 'd have the other one free if kitty tried to get outside :cat: Black bruise under the fingernail now. It would be easier to ignore if I wasn’t typing all the time. It’s like laryngitis for the internet.

16 Likes

I’m sorry you’re having to deal with that, but your turn of phrase is fantastic.

13 Likes

Ouch. But your brave defense of kitty is commendable. :heart_eyes_cat:

8 Likes

Oh, come on.

You get 18 letters into a 26-letter alphabet, and then you decide to swap out the naming convention?

Would it really have killed them to go a few more releases before switching to numbers, just for completeness’ sake?

7 Likes

The lesson is clear — it’s better to use iOS.

How is it better to ignore the existence of the number 9?

4 Likes

Like when you’re buying all the books of a series and midway through they change the cover style or book size.

14 Likes

14 Likes

Thank you. My allotted time for finding applicable reference photo expired so I went with text.

My personal example is the Samurai Cat series which went from a Quarto to an Octavo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_size) at book 4 of 6.

6 Likes

The above isn’t quite so bad; the first four books are 16mo, and I don’t know what the last three are (ETA: Maybe A-format?). But The Dark Tower was immediately what came to mind when you made that reference, because I was really frustrated by my inability to find a single matching set with all seven books (and I was even buying them all at once).

I think they’ve since released a matching set, but that was no good to me at the time.

The opposite, of course, is when the publishers go above and beyond to make the books look good together on a bookshelf, this being a great example:

7 Likes

Or when you didn’t realize at book one that you’d like the full set of hardbacks, and you’re not a committed fan until book three and the limited edition hardbacks are sold out by then.

5 Likes

On that note: when you want the soft cover but have to wait for the hard cover run to earn out.

I know some hardback readers are dedicated to that format because they have arthritis and the hard cover is easier to put on a stand. Me, my upper back issues make a hardcover difficult to hold up and read (I usually read lying down to support my shoulders).

Like, just publish all the formats you’re going to make available anyhow at the same time and let consumers get what they need. Current printing technology makes smaller, more frequent runs feasible and economical.

9 Likes

Waiting to hear back about the cashier job I interviewed for on Monday.

It’s excruciating.

(later…)

I waited till almost 4 pm EDST, and called; she wasn’t there. I’m trying to remember if she said “maybe Thursday” or “probably Thursday”.

Guys, if I don’t get this - or any job - I’m seriously going to lose faith in myself faster than I already am.

13 Likes

But then you wouldn’t have impatient people paying a premium for the hardcover version.

6 Likes

Loud helicopter noise at 2:14 am. And all day. The faa does have an email address for noise complaints, so I’ve contacted them.

5 Likes

Hate to keep them cooped up but we’ve already lost other cats to this horrible road in front of the house.

It’s not even safe to park a car out there.

7 Likes

As independent publishers consolidated, and then were snapped up by internationals and media corporations, this (making money!!!) is true even more than ever. Look at the prices for ebook versions.

7 Likes

Exactly.

I’ve been to enough book fairs, publishing conferences, etc to know the standard refrain is “paper and ink is just a portion of the cost!”. But that doesn’t explain why sometimes the ebook costs more than the paper versions.

Another thing which was true at least a few years ago, and probably still is: the industry very rarely does any market research. They always say it’s because of cost, but of course not doing any research ensures you won’t be able to afford it. It even made the news a few years ago when three of the smaller publishers in the UK decided to pay for since market research together, and discovered for the type of books they sold, their customers overwhelmingly preferred paperbacks, so much so they decided to discontinue offering hardbacks.

The average publisher, even at a big house, can’t tell you that because they just assume everyone who really loves books wants a hardback and will buy a book as soon as it’s published. But amongst readers, as the thread above shows, that’s less sure – you might get to the books later on and want hardbacks but can’t get them anymore, or you live the author’s work but only read soft cover. Or ebooks, and the impression I get is publishers still don’t really “get” ebooks.

7 Likes

I’m mostly ebook now for convenience. But the other day at Barnes and Nobles, I picked up a couple of paperbacks because they were slightly less than the ebook version on Amazon.

As I feared, I’m only in a few chapters as I don’t have the books with me like my ebooks, but it is nice to not worry about my book running out of battery.

I’ll just have to find a little library to drop them off in as I just can’t burden myself with dead tree editions

5 Likes